IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
does IT have a lot of graveyard jobs?....i've always been a night person. but I aint trippin if not.

Yup.....most enterprise systems run 24/7. We have a major incident and a operations team at my job. they are staffed 24/7 . only downside is they have a rotating schedule and usually work 3-4 days a week.

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
If you dont have any experience, hold off on the Masters.

A masters is great in appied and computational mathematics, if you plan on going into the science fields - Simulations/Models/Physics/AI

With that type of degree, you better be going to work for places like Valve, Nvidia, IBM etc.

For most programming jobs, that degree is over kill.

Hmmm, interesting. I just got accepted into the master's program in computer science in my school for the spring semester since I just graduated this past June with a BA in political science. I was almost finished with my bachelor's by the time I realized I wanted to get into software development, so I was advised to go for the master's instead of double majoring. Every job opening I've seen asks for applicants that have at least a bachelor's in CS or related fields, or some previous job experience.

So am I making the wrong move in going for the master's, considering my lack of experience or an undergrad degree in CS?

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Hmmm, interesting. I just got accepted into the master's program in computer science in my school for the spring semester since I just graduated this past June with a BA in political science. I was almost finished with my bachelor's by the time I realized I wanted to get into software development, so I was advised to go for the master's instead of double majoring. Every job opening I've seen asks for applicants that have at least a bachelor's in CS or related fields, or some previous job experience.

So am I making the wrong move in going for the master's, considering my lack of experience or an undergrad degree in CS?

You might be shooting yourself in the foot....

But then again if you know what you doing, you will get hired

We got guys here that havs a BS in mathematics and a a master in CS

they see political science ...they gonna be like :wtf:

I hope you know what you doing bruh....the Master program in CS aint for niccas new to that shyt...you gonna be bangin your head against the wall if you dont know certain fundamentals

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Dont talk reckless about your father

:whoa: chill Breh I don't want no problems

My pops never had a problem showing me his pay stub tho :mjpls:

:salute: to the homie Bdizzle

got this job offer pending background investigation....Sr. Sys Engineer working w/ AD and application authentication. That salary :ohlawd:

If you don't know power shell, learn it.

Also windows server 2012 seem :noah:

Congrats tho, you in the 6 figure range on this gig?

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
You might be shooting yourself in the foot....

But then again if you know what you doing, you will get hired

We got guys here that havs a BS in mathematics and a a master in CS

they see political science ...they gonna be like :wtf:

I hope you know what you doing bruh....the Master program in CS aint for niccas new to that shyt...you gonna be bangin your head against the wall if you dont know certain fundamentals

Oh no, don't get me wrong. When I said I have no experience, I just meant no professional experience. To be matriculated in the program, you have to take six undergrad courses (an intro to programming course, an advanced programming course, data structures, discrete structures, computer architecture, and calculus 1). I took the first three in my last three semesters before graduating and I'm taking the last three next semester. I'm won't be matriculated and therefore can't take any masters level courses before passing those last three courses.

I've also been learning on my own time (focusing on iOS programming at the moment, and I'm planning to learn Java so I can get into Android development next). I guess the only thing I'm really missing besides the educational background are significant side projects of my own, but I already have some ideas in mind for that. Aside from all of that, I figured actually getting a degree would be the best thing to do to land a development gig somewhere since I don't have any professional experience.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Oh no, don't get me wrong. When I said I have no experience, I just meant no professional experience. To be matriculated in the program, you have to take six undergrad courses (an intro to programming course, an advanced programming course, data structures, discrete structures, computer architecture, and calculus 1). I took the first three in my last three semesters before graduating and I'm taking the last three next semester. I'm won't be matriculated and therefore can't take any masters level courses before passing those last three courses.

I've also been learning on my own time (focusing on iOS programming at the moment, and I'm planning to learn Java so I can get into Android development next). I guess the only thing I'm really missing besides the educational background are significant side projects of my own, but I already have some ideas in mind for that. Aside from all of that, I figured actually getting a degree would be the best thing to do to land a development gig somewhere since I don't have any professional experience.

In that case...you straight...my first job out of school in 2007 was as a java developer....had no experience at all.....that was 5 years ago...:stylin:

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
:whoa: chill Breh I don't want no problems

My pops never had a problem showing me his pay stub tho :mjpls:

If you don't know power shell, learn it.

Also windows server 2012 seem :noah:

Congrats tho, you in the 6 figure range on this gig?

No doubt......been messing w/ PowerShell v3.....had a couple classes w/ v2 :obama:

I'm hittin six figures now.....but this is a pretty good bump :whoo:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
No doubt......been messing w/ PowerShell v3.....had a couple classes w/ v2 :obama:

I'm hittin six figures now.....but this is a pretty good bump :whoo:

I just started using v3 today, but I still fukks with them quest cmdlets still :obama:

Make sure you put them thangz on your whip breh. You fukk with SCCM?

Olu Dara

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Supporter
Daps
Brehs there is this course on software testing im thinking about taking, is a career in software testing worth pursuing? Hows the pay?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
u gotta be crazy fukk to major in physics :whew:

physics is the one science i was never good at...i had to put in like 300% effort in HS my senior year to get a B+ in it..in undergrad i was glad it wasn't a required elective in my major..i took it and dropped it within 3 weeks..wasn't for me

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs there is this course on software testing im thinking about taking, is a career in software testing worth pursuing? Hows the pay?
I got a homie working in QC. The job market is decent but you wont be eating quite as good like devs or IT analyst

treezee

LWO
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lost Angels
It depends on what type of career path your after. With your Business Degree I would steer clear of desktop or technical support type roles because it's as dead end as they come. In fact anyone wanting to do desktop or technical support should have their head examined.
I'm a Support Analyst making almost 70k. At my company in6 years I'll be at under 90k. I need my head examined for :eat: ?????? :what:

:manny: