IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd avoid taking an exam remotely from home. Too much can go wrong and online proctors seem to get a kick out of fukking with people. Just read the countless horror stories of people who have had their exams cancelled for the dumbest shyt. Pearsonvue sucks but they're the only ones in the game right now.
I didn't have too much trouble with ProctorU or PeopleCert.

But I despise Pearson Vue and every online exam with them has been a complete cluster. From the portal crashing to the exam starting 15 mins late or not at all. Why would these certification companies continue to use such a crappy online proctor when other options exist.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Why would these certification companies continue to use such a crappy online proctor when other options exist.
Because they have you by the balls and there's not shyt you can do about it. That's it. They don't do better because they don't need to do better.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because they have you by the balls and there's not shyt you can do about it. That's it. They don't do better because they don't need to do better.
I've seen PearsonVue buildings before in my city. Might pull up on them about fukking up my last scheduled online proctored exam.
:jbhmm:

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I'd avoid taking an exam remotely from home. Too much can go wrong and online proctors seem to get a kick out of fukking with people. Just read the countless horror stories of people who have had their exams cancelled for the dumbest shyt. Pearsonvue sucks but they're the only ones in the game right now.

I’ve heard people getting an instant fail for taking a sip of water. My boy got an automatic fail for sneezing and his face went off screen for a millisecond.

If you’re going to spend hundreds for an exam voucher, might as well make the drive to a testing center.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
I’ve heard people getting an instant fail for taking a sip of water. My boy got an automatic fail for sneezing and his face went off screen for a millisecond.

If you’re going to spend hundreds for an exam voucher, might as well make the drive to a testing center.
I got a warning when I took the PMP exam. I was thinking about a question and put my hand over my mouth

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I didn't have too much trouble with ProctorU or PeopleCert.

But I despise Pearson Vue and every online exam with them has been a complete cluster. From the portal crashing to the exam starting 15 mins late or not at all. Why would these certification companies continue to use such a crappy online proctor when other options exist.

This.

Guaranteed if a few more companies sprung up and provided a better service they would get their act together immediately.

This is how you know these online proctors are doing it for shyts and giggles. I would seriously legit wanna hunt down somebody who did that after I spent hours of studying and preparing and spent a lot of money to take an exam only to get an immediate fail for nothing or at best be more stressed out than I already am. I guarantee they mute their mics and crack up over all the shyt they pull.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Anybody else use ChatGPT to explain things so that you can understand it better?

:mjlol:

51-BED704-7268-44-F4-AE91-0-A3013-D63-A9-A.jpg

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
It's been a while since I've been up in here :wow:

:salute:to everyone that' been in here dropping knowledge. This thread is a life changer for real.
Whoever said “the further you advance in IT, the less work you have to do” was not lying.

I’m a network admin and 90% of my time is spent surfing the web and studying for certs. I can’t believe I get paid for this:wow:

Right now I’m trying finish up the second half of the CCNA data center certification before I start going deeper into Python and working on my CCNP R&S. There’s always something new to learn brehs
I loved this job, I was making $62k at the time, but not long after this post I landed a cushy govt job. It started at the same pay, but by the end of the year I was making over $100k.

I thought I had made it. Great pay and benefits, great work life balance and the work isn't very difficult. I was dead set on riding this into retirement. Two issues though:

1. Skill degradation: All the networking skill I attained while studying for the CCNA, have slowly eroded. My position doesn't require that knowledge at all. I've needed to login to a switch maybe a dozen times in the last four years.

2. Workplace inflexibility: This is my main gripe. COVID blessed us with the rise of remote work, but my employer has been very slow to adapt to this new reality. I keep on seeing people talk about how great teleworking is, meanwhile I'm over here like :patrice:, that should be me.

So this leaves me at a bit of a crossroads. Ideally, my investments will launch me into early retirement around 2026, but if that doesn't happen, I'll need to make a decision about my career. If my employer doesn't wake up and get workplace flexible by then, I'll be testing the contracting waters to look for cleared jobs with remote options. They're rarer, but I know they're out there. I just read a post on reddit about how AWS is paying annual bonuses of $45k just for you to maintain your TS clearance...:wow:I need that

It's gonna take a huge chunk of money to offset my current compensation package. I would need at least $150k, and that's probably still a paycut. Now I need to decide how I want to prepare myself to potentially re-enter the job market. I'm definitely going to recertify my CCNA and get better with Python automation, outside of that I'm not sure. Do I leverage my experience and pivot into cybersecurity? Get into Linux or Devops? I know cloud has gotten very popular with the govt, so I'll likely opt to get certified in AWS or Azure. I've been seeing quite a few jobs asking for either of those two.

The next few years will be interesting indeed...

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
I got a 2nd interview on Monday for a Associate DevOps Engineer position. I'm meeting with the director of engineering. Anyone know what questions I can ask during my interview?

Malik1time

What you looking at?
Daps
Reppin
Queens
So many pages to go thru.. anyone know what page to find updated info on starting brand new:jbhmm::jbhmm: I have no tech experience. So far from what I see I have to get a call center job first then what cert do I get with?