Leaders Of The New School: Young QB hierarchy....

Megadeus

Superstar
Daps
So CJ and Love, I just gotta see more. Really all these guys that are Y4 or less, you gotta see more. You don't really have a consistent line on a guy until Y5 or Y6...

You call this thread the young QB hierarchy, but then say you can't properly judge a guy until year 5. It doesn't make sense.

U should Just leave the young guys off then and call it the NFL QB hierarchy

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Stafford won a bowl the literal second he played for a competent organization. Throw for Throw you can put his tape against any QB in the league.:yeshrug:
This ain't The Combine. It's a results-oriented business and I'm consistent when I talk about basketball players too, show me the results...

I don't care who has the cleanest footwork or the most "wow" throws or wettest jumper. Where is the performance?

He's missed the playoffs 10x in 15 years. In those 5 playoff appearances he's been one and done 4x, two of those occasions have come in LA. You also have the Favre shyt with him where he can go interception happy. He's a really, really good player, he's OG Herbert. I like him but I saw him for too long to anoint him off one legit playoff run...
Great thread will be following, i think Herbert has the potential to be great with competent coaching,

Not sure what Lawerence is because again I’ll say coaching

This thread reminds me of the one i did as far as 10 year career, playoff appearances, pro bowls
💯!
Allan did not outplay Mahommes in that AFC divisional round. I need you to stop that. It was a literal back and forth with Mahommes putting them in field goal range with 13 seconds to go. GTFO

One could argue Mahommoes outplayed Brady in that Superbowl also with no O-line and his receivers dropping shyt that was hittjng them between the numbers.
At the very least that game was a draw. You watched that game like I did, both were in their bag but Allen made more plays, this gets overshadowed because of Mahomes driving that field in 13 seconds...

If we let you tell it Mahomes has never been outplayed. I'm not allowing that shyt over here fam 😂...
Allen over Burrow? No. Goff and Baker this high or even included on the list? Ehh. And are we still considering Kyler & Deshaun a part of the younger crop? For Deshaun at least, it seems like that train has been fully derailed.
Allen, Burrow, and Lamar are interchangeable. There's no bulletproof case for putting any of these guys over the others, as we stand here 1/19/24...

Deshaun's train is derailed but he's the same draft class as Mahomes, who is still a young quarterback. There's various ways to do this, I considered excluding the rookie (Stroud) and 1-year starters (Love and Purdy too, who both just started their first FULL years like Stroud). But then I'd have all these guys from Love's draft class, who I believe he is simply better than most of them, didn't seem practical to exclude him. But there are different ways to Tier out "young players"...

Ultimately if you haven't reached a decade in you're a young guy, QB is a position guys play 15-20 years routinely...

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Herbert still needs another year or 2. Charger fans have been calling for the last coach's head for what seems to be at least 2 years.

Same for Lawrence. He had a hot stretch showing what he could/should be but obviously tapered off. It's likely he'll never meet the hype but he probably get to that Goff level.

The Stafford love is a pendulum swing from the "He's Trash" takes that went on for a decade-plus. He was a good-to-very good but not elite QB on arguably the worst-run team in the league. But he's better than Eli. The 00-10s Giants and Lions are not on the same planet regarding franchise competence.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
@murksiderock

I will say this, for what it’s worth, if Matt and megatron are on this iteration of the lions, they become a force, some of the lions issues was Matt, and some of it was organizational incompetence, and it’s so hard to separate the two, they clip Caldwell when he actually had them looking good, now some lions fans will say he was an issue, i can call it but regardless the lions never did Matt a favor, ironically he reminds me of uga under mark (who he played for) he was doing about all you could ask for, and eventually they needed someone else to get them over the hump, I’m interested if Caldwell was the key (idk what his stats look like under him but I’m sure he probably looked decent)

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
You call this thread the young QB hierarchy, but then say you can't properly judge a guy until year 5. It doesn't make sense.

A Year 5/6 quarterback is still young. Depending on his birthday and year regarding his grade school path and whether he did 3 or 4 years in D1 he's still 26-28. QB is the only position where the game gets easier after 30 and can still anticipate 5+ years of the current level of play.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
New crop of HS and College QB talent looks crazy too. Caleb, Arch, etc.

You got 8th graders leading southern high school teams to State Championships.

Last edited:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stafford won a bowl the literal second he played for a competent organization. Throw for Throw you can put his tape against any QB in the league.:yeshrug:
nikka had Calvin Johnson and the number 1 defense in the league and did nothing. He won a bowl the second he played for an SB team that added even more All Pros and he still did his best the try to throw it away. Throw for throw he aint do shyt when given chance after chance to make shyt shake in Detroit. Lions looked pretty competent sending him home last week :manny:.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shouldnt we cap this at year 5? Mahomes, Goff, Allen, Lamar, and Dak are just entering or firmly in the middle of their respective primes. When I saw "young QB" it was instantly CJ then everybody else in my head. Didnt even think about any of those dudes.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Bro I listened to Cowherd the other day call Padford "one of the best quarterbacks of his generation". Like, he's been around 15 years, whose generation are we talking about? Because it ain't the one that had the actual generational quarterback dominating his division, and it really isn't this one, either...

As you said at his best, he wasn't elevating weak support around him the way Lamar and Allen have done, he wasnt that guy. The revisionism surrounding his time in Detroit by NFL Media is truly remarkable; no one ever thought he was garbage. He's not a Hall Of Fame quarterback though, this romanticism of his career is really bothering me 😂...

In many ways he's had Eli's career. We know Eli will get into Canton eventually because of his name, his franchise, and the mystique surrounding those lightning in a bottle Super Bowl runs. But we also know Eli was not a Hall Of Fame football player...

You may be right on Tua...

I don't know man, Herbert's record in money time is not good, he does not play well in tight games. He has time to reverse that narrative, of course, but that's more than a coach problem..

Breh do you not remebr the drive Heerberr had at the end of this game?

Did you not see this game where Herbert and the Chargers scored 5 straight TD drives to finish the game? But the defense somehow did not make a single stop?

Against the Packers QJ dropped a game-winner late

Herbert isn't perfect but he's shown that he can make plays. But his coach is literally the worst in the league and sometimes you see BS like the above with Quentin Johnson since his receivers are always injured

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I would take Stroud and Love over Hurts

Sorry, not sorry
It's close. The bar isn't very high with Hurts, so another year of those two outplayed him, they'd easily go over him, because if I'm just doing a scouting drill I think both are better football players than Hurts. But the results have to match the skill...
Especially after Burrow embarrassed him at home and also beat the Chiefs at theit homefield in the offs and been to a Superbowl
I'll say again, there's a thin margin with Allen, Lamar, Burrow. You can make the argument for either...

Allen is the only one if the three with no injury concern, he's the only one of the three I'm consistently in the playoffs with. Burrow has been hurt + missed the playoffs two of his four seasons. Its alarming...

Allen is healthy and available every single playoffs. Ultimately it's a virtual tie, Burrow did outplay him on his own field and, small sample size, but so far when we get Healthy Burrow his team at minimum is a Final Four team...

There's solid arguments to be made for both (as well as Lamar)!
It will be close between him and Puka but CJ will likely win OROY as well. That last game against the Colts probably pushed him over the edge.

Lawrence is the big what if to me. I knew he wasn’t 100% but the Jags collapsed hard this year and he didn’t play that good. Now you got CJ looking like he can take that division.

Add in the Colts with a healthy AR and Steichen as the head coach.

I still think Herbert can turn it around with the right coach. That being said, say that the Chargers do get Harbaugh and Herbert still underachives, then he will literally be Rivers 2.0.

Mahomes is already cemented. Lamar and Josh have something to prove with these upcoming games.

Funny enough, Burrow has the injury concern at the moment. I don’t think he’s had one healthy training camp yet.

Higgins might be gone too.

Hurts with a good OC I think will bounce back.
Mahomes is at the top right now and is cemented as Canton-bound and one if the greatest players ever. I don't think its cemented at all that he finishes his career as the best QB of his generation, first of all there's a whole lot of football ahead for all these guys. Remember, QBs routinely play up to 20 years, none of these guys are beyond Y8. Stat Padford got a Lombardi in Y13 and we're watching in real time how that has flipped the narrative on his career...

These guys all have almost 10 or more years in front of them. So you add this with the fact, for guys in here who evaluate players on "skill" and "talent" more than results, there isn't much of a skill gap between Mahomes and the other elite guys. It's not a shoo-in that he maintains his stature as better than everyone else...

I do think a Hurts bounce-back is possible but if he's that dependent on who the OC is, what does that truly say about him?

Lotta Herbert fans in this thread 🤣...

No, because I didn't make a hierarchy including every QB. I didn't put old ass guys like Rodgers or Cousins or Russ or Padford here. I didn't put garbage young guys like Pickett or Wilson on here. It's Leaders Of The New School, key words being "leaders", and "new school"...

I also pointedly stated its a fluid hierarchy, none of these guys are etched in stone or bolted in place...

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I'm gonna update this after the season. In this order:

Mahomes (Y7)
•2-1 Super Bowl, 3-2 AFCCG
•12-3 playoffs (.800)
•.771 reg season (74-22), 13.1 wins/Per17, 6x AFCW champ
•2x champion, 2x MVP, 2x SBMVP, '18 OPOY, 3x All-Pro, 6x Pro Bowl, 2x pass TD leader, '22 pass yards leader

Allen (Y6)
•0-1 AFCCG
•5-4 playoffs (.556)
•.677 reg season (63-30), 11.5 wins/Per17, 4x AFCE champ
•'20 All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl

Lamar (Y6)
•1-3 playoffs (.250)
•.753 reg season (58-19); 12.8 wins/Per17, 3x AFCN champ
•2x MVP, 2x All-Pro, 3x Pro Bowl, '19 pass TD leader

Burrow (Y4)
•0-1 Super Bowl, 1-1 AFCCG
•5-2 playoffs (.714)
•.558 reg season (29-22-1), 9.5 wins/Per17, 2x AFCN champ
•'21 CPOY, '22 Pro Bowl, '21 comp% leader

Goff (Y8)
•0-1 Super Bowl, 1-0 NFCCG
•3-3 playoffs (.500)
•.564 reg season (66-50-1), 9.6 wins/Per17, 3x NFCW/N champ
•3x Pro Bowl

Dak (Y8)
•2-5 playoffs (.286)
•.640 reg season (73-41), 10.9 wins/Per17, 4x NFCE champ
•'16 OROY, '22 WPMOY, '23 All-Pro, 3x Pro Bowl, '23 pass TDs leader

Hurts (Y4)
• 0-1 Super Bowl, 1-0 NFCCG
•2-3 playoffs (.400)
•.667 reg season (34-17), 11.3 wins/Per17, '22 NFCE champ
•'22 All-Pro, '22 Pro Bowl

Purdy (Y2)
•0-1 NFCCG
•2-1 playoffs (.667)
•.810 reg season (17-4), 13.8 wins/Per17, '23 NFCW champ
•'23 Pro Bowl, '23 pass rtg leader

Baker (Y6)
•2-1 playoffs (.667)
•.465 reg season (40-46), 7.9 wins/Per17, '23 NFCS champ

Stroud (R)
•1-0 playoffs
•.600 reg season (9-6), 10.2 wins/Per17, '23 AFCS champ

Love (Y4)
•1-0 playoffs
•.500 reg season (9-9), 8.5 wins/Per17

Tua (Y4)
•0-1 playoffs
•.627 reg season (32-19), 10.7 wins/Per17
•'23 Pro Bowl, '23 pass yards leader, '22 pass rtg leader

Herbert (Y4)
•0-1 playoffs
•.484 reg season (30-32), 8.2 wins/Per17
•'20 OROY, '21 Pro Bowl

Deshaun (Y7)
•1-2 playoffs (.333)
•.554 reg season (36-29), 9.4 wins/Per17 2x AFCS champ
•3x Pro Bowl, '20 pass yards leader

Kyler (Y5)
•0-1 playoffs
•.431 reg season (28-36-1), 7.3 wins/Per17
•'19 OROY, 2x Pro Bowl

Lawrence (Y3)
•1-1 playoffs (.500)
•.400 reg season (20-30), 6.8 wins/Per17, '22 AFCS champ
•'22 Pro Bowl
Good post

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Allen over Burrow? No. Goff and Baker this high or even included on the list? Ehh. And are we still considering Kyler & Deshaun a part of the younger crop? For Deshaun at least, it seems like that train has been fully derailed.

Especially after Burrow embarrassed him at home and also beat the Chiefs at theit homefield in the offs and been to a Superbowl
Burrow has never even scored more than 27 in a playoff game despite having one of the best receiving corps in the league

Allen hung 36 on Mahomes in arrowhead