BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Breh, thought David Liss did as best of a job with his pen game with the daredevil shyt, I never fukked with it due to the premise. BP in Hell's Kitchen for an extended period of time to "find himself"? That's bullshyt.

Stopped at deadliest of the species and didn't fukk with dark reign because hudlin left and Mayberry took over the book. Mayberry ended up doing doom war. fukk doomwar.

Basically, BP has being going through a lot of shytty storytelling since the end of hudlin's run. You have bright spots here and there (parts of BP in NYC, and parts of Hickman's FF stories with BP and parts of New Avengers), but then you get shyt like doomwar and AvX. And even chunks of New Avengers chumped out T'Challa and his mythos. Havent fukked with any of those storyline cuz of the fukkery. I don't even pay attention to secret wars Cuz of everything. Had enough.

And if BP's new solo comic and his participation in the Ultimates is shytty, then Marvel once again marvel won't get my money. fukk that:camby:
so you feel me then?
shyt just wack to me
thats why i said muthafukkas aint gotta lie to kick it
all that black excellence bullshyt
he doesnt have alotta good stories
and you KNOW how these fakkit ass Prodigal Tickle shyt ass nikkas on here feel about Marvel villains
just hope they can make some good cinema
fukk a comic book movie
some good cinema

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I started with the Priest run when I was younger....

Got back into it with Civil War and the Marriage..

Haven't heard too many good things since that so I was waiting on this huge reboot that their doing (Battleword) to see if, nowthat they've got the movie announced, they give him some REAL shine

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
so you feel me then?
shyt just wack to me
thats why i said muthafukkas aint gotta lie to kick it
all that black excellence bullshyt
he doesnt have alotta good stories
and you KNOW how these fakkit ass Prodigal Tickle shyt ass nikkas on here feel about Marvel villains
just hope they can make some good cinema
fukk a comic book movie
some good cinema

Nah, what I'm saying is BP has great stories, stories that really push the #BlackExcellence and straight up badassery many of us have associated with BP.

Thing is, those stories you are reading? They aren't really reflecting that. Since 2009, BP has been chumped over and over.

A lot of BP fans will tell you that overall, his best years were from 1998 to 2009. In it you have:

-the Priest run, hands down the best writer BP had, imo. He set up so much that is now considered standard by BP fans and writers.

-the hudlin run, which had a very shaky start, writing wise, but gave BP his largest promos: being married to storm, being involved in Civil War, having his tv show. And hudlin's pen got much better by the end of his run (hudlin's run is BP's most financially successful run). BP's profile really went up then.

-See Wakanda and Die, a tie-in to the Secret Invasion arc. Damn near everyone says it's the best story of that arc.

-Dwayne McDuffie (writer of Justice League cartoons, RIP) writing the fantastic four stories in which black panther and storm were part of the team. Those stories have always enjoyed very positive reviews to this day.

In all of those stories, you get the #blackexcellence many BP fans have been talking about. But since 2009, it's been in small, very limited and inconsequential doses.

If I were you, I would ditch the BP as daredevil arc and Dark Reign, and hit up the priest run. You will get a better impression of BP from there.

Last edited:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Nah, what I'm saying is BP has great stories, stories that really push the #BlackExcellence and straight up badassery many of us have associated with BP.

Thing is, those stories you are reading? They aren't really reflecting that. Since 2009, BP has been chumped over and over.

A lot of BP fans will tell you that overall, his best years were from 1998 to 2009. In it you have:

-the Priest run, hands down the best writer BP had. He set up so much that is now considered standard by BP fans and writers.

-the hudlin run, which had a very shaky start, writing wise, but gave BP his largest promos: being married to storm, being involved in Civil War, having his tv show. And his pen got much better by the end of his run (hudlin's run is BP's most financially successful run). His profile really went up then.

-See Wakanda and Die, a tie-in to the Secret Invasion arc. Damn near everyone says it's the best story of that arc.

-Dwayne McDuffie (writer of Justice League cartoons, RIP) writing the fantastic four stories in which black panther and storm were part of the team. Those stories have always enjoyed very positive reviews to this day.

In all of those stories, you get the #blackexcellence many BP fans have been talking about. But since 2009, it's been in small, very limited and inconsequential doses.

If I were you, I would ditch the BP as daredevil arc and Dark Reign, and hit up the priest run. You will get a better impression of BP from there.
i have em all so illgo back and re-read what you referenced
not dawgin noone out
just was never impressed with the character or his stories
but thats to be expected when theres what? 2-3 black characters in a comic universe :deadmanny:
its like "ok black people, here ya go!"

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I started with the Priest run when I was younger....

Got back into it with Civil War and the Marriage..

Haven't heard too many good things since that so I was waiting on this huge reboot that their doing (Battleword) to see if, it that they've got the movie announced, they give him some REAL shine

Breh it's been bad. Doomwar, AxV, Even New Avengers (that was just...ugh), dude and his whole mythos got chipped hard.

Thank goodness he's getting a movie, cuz he and Wakanda seriously could've been thrown to the bushes after that.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
not dawgin noone out
but thats to be expected when theres what? 2-3 black characters in a comic universe :deadmanny:

The Priest run will make you a believer breh. That run was TRUE black excellence through and through

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
not dawgin noone out

I feel Ya. There's more than 3 black characters, but you know how that goes: only one or two of them get major shine. And if they get major shine, don't be surprised if they get chumped.

Only with BP have I heard the "Mary sue" argument be really push by detractors so aggressively. You might hear it with superman everyonce in a while but people accept it eventually. And you barely hear it with batman even though he's just human with no super powers.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
BP and Storm were awesome. If only Disney could get Storm's rights back or share it :wow:

600304-black_panther_storm_at_home_super.jpg

72c4fb8ce48c07ba6c78714e7da7246a.jpg

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
From the movie here are my most important factors for it to be a success

- Black Excellence from start to finish: I don't mean that T'Challa shouldn't have to go through the standard steps of the heroes journey. He should face struggle and resistance, but he should face it as ROYALTY and he should face it as one of the most intelligent characters in the Marvel universe (think Toney Stark without the snarks and sarcasm) I don't mind if they use his arrogance (a BP staple) as a means to humble him, but that should NOT come at the cost of his regality.

- Top Notch Casting: Chadwicke Boseman is an excellent choice for T'Challa, his performance in Get On Up is what really made me a true fan of his, he was dynamic and electric in that movie, he really carried it to greatness and deserved an Oscar nom. The rest of the cast should be just as talented and suited for the their roles. T'Chaka, Suri, etc. should ALL be cast with the greatest of care and the best black actors possible. I want to see the likes Courtney B. Vance, Angela Bassett, Lupita Nyongo, THE BEST.

- Wakanda In All Its Glory: Wakanda is the most advanced civilization in the Marvel Universe. It even does it a disservice to call it a civilization, it is a KINGDOM. A kingdom of proud citizens who are second to none. There were some viewers who thought that the African Battle scene in AOU took place in Wakanda. This couldn't be FURTHER from Wakanda, Wakanda should be unique, fantastical, and unlike anything seen in any current Marvel film.

- A Strong Love Interest: Like I posted earlier in this thread, T'Challa has had a noticeable lack of memorable love interests compared to his Cac counterparts. Storm was his best match as his wife and Queen Regent but after Hudlin left the comic Marvel took a huge, steaming dump on the relationship. Besides that, Fox currently has the rights to the character of Storm. Monica Lynne is his next most meaningful relationship, and admittedly, she was more the "damsel in distress" than anything else. If Monica is introduced in the BP film then she needs to be updated to portray a stronger, intelligent, more resourceful match for T'Challa, a woman who, he can respect and view as an equal. Many people feel that a love interest isn't needed, but I disagree, All of the MCU mainstays have love interests (Iron Man has Pepper Potts, Cap has Sharon Carter, Thor has Jane Foster) and, when done right, it can add to the character. I personally would like to see a mainstream representation of black superhero romance.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The Secret Invasion tie-in "See Wakanda and Die" really is the definitive BP story that I would recommend to someone. iirc, its a 3 issue story that captures strategic excellence of BP to a T.

Also, i always champion this story b/c it really is underrated but the "World's Apart" mini series by David Yost is also very good. It's more so about Storm and her perspective as an X-Men, wife and queen... it also captures how the x-men view her marriage, how the Dora Milaje view her, Wakandans... basically a very good introspective story.

See Wakanda and Die and World's Apart really captured the magic of BP and Storm's union. Both set a standard and example for how such a union should've consistently been shown.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Also, for what its worth, I'm optimistic about Al Ewing. He's a very good comic writer who'll be penning a new cosmic team book featuring T'Challa, called the Ultimates.

Al has been getting a lot of books under Marvel... he may be filling in a bit of the void left by Hickman stepping away after Secret Wars.

This will be the 2nd of two books T'Challa will be in this fall. The other one will be his own solo series, which is coming back I believe in October. They don't have an official creative team behind it, so i'm still cautiously optimistic. The creative team for Ultimates is bad ass, so I expect good things there... but given how invested Disney is in the character, i hope this will be the turning of a new chapter for T'Challa. I want him to have a great team book and a great solo, so we can have more and more stories to refer future BP fans to, especially as his stature grows from the mCU

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Also, for what its worth, I'm optimistic about Al Ewing. He's a very good comic writer who'll be penning a new cosmic team book featuring T'Challa, called the Ultimates.

Al has been getting a lot of books under Marvel... he may be filling in a bit of the void left by Hickman stepping away after Secret Wars.

This will be the 2nd of two books T'Challa will be in this fall. The other one will be his own solo series, which is coming back I believe in October. They don't have an official creative team behind it, so i'm still cautiously optimistic. The creative team for Ultimates is bad ass, so I expect good things there... but given how invested Disney is in the character, i hope this will be the turning of a new chapter for T'Challa. I want him to have a great team book and a great solo, so we can have more and more stories to refer future BP fans to, especially as his stature grows from the mCU

See THIS is what I've been waiting for. Now Marvel has a REAL chance to do T'Challa justice and wipe away any bad blood. This could be BIG

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If writers don't care about a character, or don't know how to approach or handle one then that character will suffer. Unfortunately, that's been most of BP's comic life outside of his solos. You still have comic fans who don't know how capable he is and are surprised when he does a feat that is good and well within his ability. He's been undermined that much. It's terrible. He's definitely one of the most underrated characters in Marvel's lineup if not comics in general.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel Ya. There's more than 3 black characters, but you know how that goes: only one or two of them get major shine. And if they get major shine, don't be surprised if they get chumped.

Only with BP have I heard the "Mary sue" argument be really push by detractors so aggressively. You might hear it with superman everyonce in a while but people accept it eventually. And you barely hear it with batman even though he's just human with no super powers.

Batman is arguably one of the biggest Mary Sue's in comics.