SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not gonna lie after Chad died I was in the camp of no recasting and just promoting Shuri, but as time has passed I just think the character of T'Challa is too significant to phase out. At the same time, a lot of people are emotionally attached to Chad. Tough and unique position to be in. People can bring up Ledger as Joker but a villain is a lot different from the star of the franchise, and also was even he supposed to be in multiple films regardless?

I feel like Feige and Coogler have earned the benefit of the doubt though so I guess it'll just have to play out

Daps
They would never do White characters like this lol. If Rob Pattinson died they would just get a new actor for the next film.

Well yall aint gonna want to hear this but...

Part of the issue is us. If they DID recast, there is a whole segment of black folks out there ready with the think pieces and criticism, who will go on tv doing all these interviews criticizing Disney for it and we all know it.

If Robert Pattinson died, white folks would be :ohhh: cause it was so sudden and if he hadn't already started filming the next movie, they would be :yeshrug: and understanding when DC had to recast.

Not so with us. Disney made the decision that was best for the Disney business and while they got some of us that are :francis: , it aint nearly as bad as it would be had they recast.

Daps
I think if Bale passed away after Batman Begins they would've recasted for The Dark Knight and people would've gone the cinema regardless. I believe the same would've happened with Black Panther :manny:

Would some people be upset? No doubt about it.

Joker was supposed to be in Dark Knight Rises. But Heath Ledger was dead so they didn't recast. That proves your opinion wrong right there. :comeon:

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Well its been fun fellas. But T'challa is one of my favorite superheros(He is 1A and Daredevil is my 1B) and I for one feel a little slighted by this. But it is what it is. :yeshrug:. This just reminds me of the Kasper Cole series and how after Hudlin BP has always seemed to be cut off at the knees. ( I'm looking at you Liss and Coates.) I'll be back for the reboot if it ever comes.

Last edited:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Feige is batting a 1000, but as I told @Primetime @Achille and @Ziggiy . They really didnt capitalize on the hype of BP like they could have. Series about Wakanda's side characters or its past should have fast forward immediately.

Now its gonna be 4 years later, no Chad (R.I.P), no T'Challa, a reworked script, and none of the momentum from a Civil War to follow up on like BP had.

The good thing is Black Panther's side characters are THE GOAT imo of any side characters in a solo Marvel film. However, it running the risk of being like Valkyrie and Korg leading a Thor movie. Nobody rushing to see that.
I made the thread about that .... nikkas was mad and :cape:

I told them

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Didn't have to put it like that
full_zpsyga4tndy-png.379142
And I am in the camp that they absolutely underutilized BP in Infinity war and Endgame solely because they didn't expect him to be as beloved as he and the franchise ended up being.
:francis:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Joker was supposed to be in Dark Knight Rises. But Heath Ledger was dead so they didn't recast. That proves your opinion wrong right there. :comeon:

I used Batman specifically because he's the hero and protagonists, just like Black Panther. Joker makes more sense as you can use any villain in the gallery, and they did it with Bane. Can't do that with the hero.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I told yall they wouldn't recast. better to just pass the mantle to someone else literally, and make a new character black panther, than pretend the old one is still there while using a new one anyway.

The end result was going to be a new actor regardless, they just changing the name.
like Robin, can be dikk Grayson or Jason Todd. still Robin. gives the new actor more freedom to bring their own twist to the role.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I wish all the best for Coogler and everyone else but I can’t even bring myself to care anymore about the film franchise any longer. T’Challa is my favorite comic book character of all time. He IS Wakanda to me.

I’m definitely going to continue with the comics though. Coates will be ending his run soon and i’m excited to see who they bring in next.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
I get not recasting T'challa. The character is just too closely associated with Chadwick and the optics of replacing him after his tragic passing wouldn't fly. Remember, Black Panther was major phenomenon and the man behind the character was just as popular as the character itself.

With that said, I think the movie will end with a new Black Panther crowned. That character would basically sub in for T'challa and Coogler could do what he originally had planned for Tchalla with him going forward.