One of few black women I've seen go on Fox News and have a host shook :wow:

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
The reason why a lot of people can't finish is because it's too expensive.

And when I say too expensive

1. Student loans and other financial aid can't cover all of the costs

2. Parents bare the burden in a lot of instances.

3. Add the first two points I made to the thousands of working adults going to school.

It all boils down to having to work and go to school. Then there is life in general. Other bills, kids, etc.

--------

The REAL reason why education is so expensive boils down to supply and demand.

If everybody got free education, the job market would be flooded with too many skilled workers (including foreigners outsourced in other countries). Unemployment would be about the same with way more educated people.

Schools make their money by convincing people to get an education to get a better job. They get that loan money and :eat:

If everyone flooded campuses how valuable a going to school going to be? They will surely have to lower the costs and at the same time hire more people. So schools will probably raise the standards to get in. They will look at the high school you go to, GPA and test scores, and we all know who would get shut out. :mjpls:

At the end of the day, higher education is covered because everybody can't go. I don't necessarily think it should be free but more of a performance based system where the more you excel, the less you pay.
I'm as cynical as the next guy but honestly, the reason why college has become more expensive isn't due to conniving money making on behalf of public colleges in particular (this is a symptom instead of a cause) but due to many states, especially those with republican legislatures, have incrementally decreased funding for state and public colleges over the years. This has happened especially in my state and with my school and there are noticeable issues that have arise. Over the past years the state government has continued to decreased funding to the school in an effort to be "fiscally responsible". As a result tuition has increased and as a result you start to see our state school take on more private sector like initiatives.

If the state moves back to providing funding for state schools, the school won't have the economic incentive to raise tuition because the state is providing those funds. They're still getting their money but there is less immediate burden on the student. I believe in state moving back to funding state colleges at levels like before but I don't feel too comfortable with it being a federal initiative. I like my state taxes going to my particular school. Not having to pay into funding every college in the US essentially.

While there are some people who are have financial issues during college that prevents them from finishing, they only make up 1/3 of the group in this particular article for example that left college before finishing. The rest stated due to not being able to keep with the academic rigor or unable to finish their degree program as the reason for failure to complete
About one-third of middle class students who dropped outtold the Education Department they left due to financial considerations, about the same rate as those from other income groups, said Nate Johnson, head of Postsecondary Analytics, a higher education research and consulting firm.About as many cited more amorphous "personal reasons."

Also, many enter college unprepared academically, prompting some to quit because they can't keep up, experts said. Still, others don't have the perseverance needed to get through college.

Also as far as the last line, the implication being less black students being able to go to school due to GPA issues, well, then the issue is they need to raise their GPA if this is even an issue to begin with. I'm not interested in entertaining that if the merits are higher, that black students will or have to be at a disadvantage. Don't even care to entertain that argument.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
only way free college becomes a thing is if it's attached to compulsory military service like korea