Single folks: If you were to get married..

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I really don't think people should be married if the whole goal is to keep everything separate. Might as well stay single.

Well, if there was a guarantee that people would honor marriage vows, then there would be no reason to get prenups.

Unfortunately, people get married for different reasons which may or may not be for the right reasons.

Let’s say you came to the table with tangibles, but your husband didn’t because he got into trouble way back and is an ex felon. Y’all get married, he cheated on you, made a side baby, the. you decided to bounce and file for divorce, but the judge awarded him spousal support, half your pension, made you seek your house, took half your 401K, IRA and made you pay for his legal fees.

I believe you would be pissed!

The above scenario is why people get pre/post nuptial agreements.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Well, if there was a guarantee that people would honor marriage vows, then there would be no reason to get prenups.

Unfortunately, people get married for different reasons which may or may not be for the right reasons.

Let’s say you came to the table with tangibles, but your husband didn’t because he got into trouble way back and is an ex felon. Y’all get married, he cheated on you, made a side baby, the. you decided to bounce and file for divorce, but the judge awarded him spousal support, half your pension, made you seek your house, took half your 401K, IRA and made you pay for his legal fees.

I believe you would be pissed!

The above scenario is why people get pre/post nuptial agreements.

Again, why get married in the scenario?

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Getting a prenuptial agreement is non-negotiable. I’m not getting married without one. My parents got one :yeshrug:

You have to make sure she’s properly represented though. They get discarded al the time.

True..

Plus, she could say that she signed under duress, among other things..

Here is my thing about it..

Straight up!

I can’t marry any woman who is only bringing ass, titties, p*ssy and mouth to the table!

All that should come with her off gp! That isn’t a bargaining chip, plus I am coming with dikk, balls and a mouth/tongue as well.

But, I am also coming with a house, medical/dental/chiropractic and life insurance, a pension and 401K pus will get that IRA poppin soon.

My house stays with me, married or divorced! That’s MY shyt! I work too hard to get what little I have and don’t want someone to come into my life with alterior motives, dog me out, then cry to the courts that they are oppressed, victimized, etc and have the courts rule in their favor.

There has to be a way that I can protect myself, should I get married, but for whatever reason, the marriage didn’t work out..

Perhaps, you or anyone else here can share what is the best way for all parties involved to be good with the assets, should a marriage fail?.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Supposedly, people get married for love right? But, marriage is also a business. So, since it is a contract, then how come two people can’t collectively bargain a contract?

You can be married in spirit. The contract is just business. If business isn't mutual beneficial why do it? Might as well just stay together without the contract.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You can be married in spirit. The contract is just business. If business isn't mutual beneficial why do it? Might as well just stay together without the contract.

Marriage is a choice. Two people don’t have to make their union legal. But, at the same token, how easy is it to find someone who is willing to get in to a relationship or commitment without them benefitting from it?

I understand that there are no guarantees in life, but I want to ensure that I will be able to sustain myself should things not work out.

I am all for negotiating a fair agreement. But, the way the courts are ran, that shyt is far from being fair, so there has to be some way that all parties involved will get what is due to them fairly.

Can’t be a lick, come up for one person, but destitution and poverty for the other.

So yeah, marriage may not be an option, if the shyt is going to be one sided..

Daps
Marriage isn't just about feelings. There is a financial and legal proponant. To enter a legal situation without a contract is ridiculous. Otherwise, just shack up, and don't share finances.

I would prefer my wife stay home after children, so her career isn't that important, unless she's doing absolutely nothing with her life, or some blue collar job. That shows she has no motivation in life. If she has a good career, and wants to work, then that's fine too.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Marriage is a choice. Two people don’t have to make their union legal. But, at the same token, how easy is it to find someone who is willing to get in to a relationship or commitment without them benefitting from it?

I understand that there are no guarantees in life, but I want to ensure that I will be able to sustain myself should things not work out.

I am all for negotiating a fair agreement. But, the way the courts are ran, that shyt is far from being fair, so there has to be some way that all parties involved will get what is due to them fairly.

Can’t be a lick, come up for one person, but destitution and poverty for the other.

So yeah, marriage may not be an option, if the shyt is going to be one sided..

This didn't answer the question. Why would you get into such a unbalanced situation in the first place? Most marriages have a 50/50 of the assets acquired in the marriage if both parties unless the incomes are substantially.

So why get into a marriage and draw up a contract to make it like you're single instead of just staying single?

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I can agree to your reasoning..

Let me ask you this, is it reasonable for a man to prefer to be with a woman who has comparable tangibles to the table prior to entering a relationship? If so, should said man does start a relationship with a woman who brings equal to the table, do you still think that a prenup and possibly a postnuptial agreement is necessary, in this day and age?
Is it reasonable for a preference? Marriage is about what you’re looking for so whatever a person wants is what it is.

I don’t think it’s necessary to have one, but understandable given our times. Regardless of who has what entering.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This didn't answer the question. Why would you get into such a unbalanced situation in the first place? Most marriages have a 50/50 of the assets acquired in the marriage if both parties unless the incomes are substantially.

So why get into a marriage and draw up a contract to make it like you're single instead of just staying single?

Personally, I would not agree to an unbalanced situation nor would I marry anyone who doesn’t have any tangibles! That is non-negotiable at this point in my life.

I am down for splitting things 50/ 50 that is acquired within a marriage providing that the spouse is also contributing towards the wealth gain.

But, what has to be stated in any agreement I sign, is that my house is off limits! My pension is off limits! But, I would not marry someone who doesn’t also have a pension, so if that person hit up my pension, then I will hit hers up!

Now, I prefer to add in a mortality clause as well that both parties must honor..

Basically, honor the marriage vows and then should I pass away, then all assets and tangibles goes to the spouse! No problem.

No rewards for those who can’t honor marriage vows, on both ends!

So BPE, I may be one of those dudes who simply can’t get married. I have to get something out of it that benefits me, financially and emotionally.

Call it fear based and insecure. It’s all good! Never said I am perfect nor will I beat myself up to be someone who have to be perfect and flawless when everyone else have flaws and imperfections..

Btw, what sparked this thread was a conversation I had with a woman co-worker/union sister during lunch the other day..It was an interesting conversation..

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Is it reasonable for a preference? Marriage is about what you’re looking for so whatever a person wants is what it is.

I don’t think it’s necessary to have one, but understandable given our times. Regardless of who has what entering.

I guess it depends on who you are asking. For me, I say that is everyone has a right to have a preference. But, I believe that not all preferences is reasonable.

At the end of the day, the number one rule of life is self preservation! In an ideal world, a prenup is unnecessary because both people will come together for the right reasons and will do right by each other which is why their marriage will work for them. If the marriage work out well and one spouse dies, then the other spouse is entitled to all of the assets from the other spouse as well as what was acquired through the marriage.

I have certain feelings about this topic because I work very hard at what I do for a living! I also know what type of person a I am character wise and I as well as recognize what type of relationship karma I have accrued throughout my adult life.

So, should I ever meet someone who want to take things to another level, then me and that person would have to have a real conversation about things which may be very uncomfortable.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just Clean your pistol in front of her regularly and randomly make comments about what you would do if anyone ever tried to take what you worked for......fear is an effective deterrent

Lol..

Well, at that point, I guess I could do that, but if I gotta do that then said person isn't the right one!

I honestly believe that those who have something to lose will do right by you because they can get their shyt took as well..

It's those who ain't got shyt that may be the ones to look out for!