After watching BvS 3 times, I don't understand why people disliked this movie so much

Superstar
Daps
what was the point then?

the death of the protagonist is meant to evoke an emotional response in the viewer who has come to care about him/her over the course of the story. but since DC assembled a horrible cast of story tellers, it had no weight and no impact

the rest isnt worth responding to because i already know the answers from the tone

Point was to first stress the nature of Superman's character and his willingness to sacrifice in order to save the people he loves and for the entire world, even if the entire world hates him. Second was to instill hope back in Batman, who lost it after fighting crime in Gotham for so long, and who witnesses Superman's altruism firsthand and is inspired to form the JL. Again, I don't think it was meant to hold that much emotional gravitas for the audience since they essentially brought him back from the dead in the same movie.

And you say that Superman's death and the Martha thing had no emotional impact because they were set up so poorly, but see that's another thing I chalk up to the "for the fans not critics" belief about this movie. If you're a fan of the comic book lore and you're into Batman and Superman, those types of things don't really need no setup cuz you know how much Batman's parents deaths affected him, and how and why Superman dying is such a big deal and why its such an emotional blow to the world.

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Point was to first stress the nature of Superman's character and his willingness to sacrifice in order to save the people he loves and for the entire world, even if the entire world hates him. Second was to instill hope back in Batman, who lost it after fighting crime in Gotham for so long, and who witnesses Superman's altruism firsthand and is inspired to form the JL. Again, I don't think it was meant to hold that much emotional gravitas for the audience since they essentially brought him back from the dead in the same movie.

And you say that Superman's death and the Martha thing had no emotional impact because they were set up so poorly, but see that's another thing I chalk up to the "for the fans not critics" belief about this movie. If you're a fan of the comic book lore and you're into Batman and Superman, those types of things don't really need no setup cuz you know how much Batman's parents deaths affected him, and how and why Superman dying is such a big deal and why its such an emotional blow to the world.
you shouldnt need to have a background with the comics to have an emotional connection to the protagonist and what happens to him

this isnt the comics this is zach synders take on superman, and his take leaves the audience walking out like :manny: when the guy they are supposed to care about dies

the comic book lore means nothing because DC is establishing its own version of events and its own universe

BvS doesnt get extra points for the story telling done by other people decades ago

Superstar
Daps
you shouldnt need to have a background with the comics to have an emotional connection to the protagonist and what happens to him

this isnt the comics this is zach synders take on superman, and his take leaves the audience walking out like :manny: when the guy they are supposed to care about dies

the comic book lore means nothing because DC is establishing its own version of events and its own universe

BvS doesnt get extra points for the story telling done by other people decades ago

Right but I'm saying there wasn't any true intent for emotional gravity regardless, especially when nobody with a half a brain would think that Superman would stay dead even if its the 8th movie in the series. Simply said, nobody cares because everybody knew he wasn't actually dead. It's just that people with a greater understanding of the original lore and backgrounds would get why Superman dying is such a big deal, as opposed to other people who saw Superman dying as an overly dramatic, inadequate sequence for what they feel is an underdeveloped character, you feel me?

Daps
Reppin
i can't even watch this garbage a 2nd time...how the hell have you watched it 3 times already.

that's almost 9 hours of your life.. :martin:

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
I'm just sick of them getting the evil genius villains wrong. They botched doom again, and lex was acting like the joker. This day and age these guys should have had GOAT portrayals.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
I don't want DCU to be campy, or even lighthearted. I want it to be dramatic with mythic undertones, without being unnecessarily dark. At least for the JL/Big 3. I get it for batman and his rogues,

take Justice League Dark for instance. How dark do they go with that to differentiate?

I also hate the "comic book movies for people who hate comic books" thing. Outside of that it's whatever. But i'm "wait and see" status at this point

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Not a Marvel or DC "stan" or "hater", but I don't see nothing that would warrant a 28% on Tomatoes, and at the very worst it was just an OK movie

The only complaints I understand is the dumb Martha thing, the grim and joyless story (if that's not your cup of tea I get it), Lex portrayal (although I didn't mind it), and the plot was muddled (even though the Ultimate edition shows a much more linear cut).

Everything else was fire, and this is coming from someone who is definitely not a big Zack Snyder fan, and who thought Man of Steel and Watchmen were cheeks. Please tell me what was so bad about it? :dwillhuh:
so lets get this straight based purely off what YOU said

dumb reason to end the battle that the movie was named after
movie was grim and had no joy in it
the main villian of the movie was terrible
the plot didn't make any sense

and you're asking why people didn't like it? :jbhmm:

now this is coming from someone who actually did like it and still hasn't seen the new version... but if you agree all that stuff is true... isn't it obvious why people don't like it... you fukking made the case

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
so lets get this straight based purely off what YOU said

dumb reason to end the battle that the movie was named after
movie was grim and had no joy in it
the main villian of the movie was terrible
the plot didn't make any sense

and you're asking why people didn't like it? :jbhmm:

now this is coming from someone who actually did like it and still hasn't seen the new version... but if you agree all that stuff is true... isn't it obvious why people don't like it... you fukking made the case
I feel like the point is that regardless of the problems the movie had, 28% is an overreaction. No way is this movie worse than batman and robin and daredevil.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I feel like the point is that regardless of the problems the movie had, 28% is an overreaction. No way is this movie worse than batman and robin and daredevil.
well of course when you have like or dislike as your only options, nikkas gonna leave the theater and hit a button to dislike

they been conditioned to like a certain type of comic movie for the past decade and then this was sprung on them... after a year and change, waiting on the gods superman and batman... finally in a movie.. finally about to battle... finally about to put that campy bullshyt to shame and get gritty and real.... and (what people forget) finally continuing the greatness of the nolan films (dc was goat in their minds)....

they put it out and let everyone down... i think a lot of votes were in anger... go on imdb and it's a 7.. which damn sure ain' t 2.8 (28%)

HHR

Do what you love
Daps

28% isn't a score someone gave the movie.

28% of critics gave it a poor review.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
well of course when you have like or dislike as your only options, nikkas gonna leave the theater and hit a button to dislike

they been conditioned to like a certain type of comic movie for the past decade and then this was sprung on them... after a year and change, waiting on the gods superman and batman... finally in a movie.. finally about to battle... finally about to put that campy bullshyt to shame and get gritty and real.... and (what people forget) finally continuing the greatness of the nolan films (dc was goat in their minds)....

they put it out and let everyone down... i think a lot of votes were in anger... go on imdb and it's a 7.. which damn sure ain' t 2.8 (28%)
The 27% was from paid critics tho, they should be above a simple like or dislike.

And this movie has been getting shytted on since it was even announced. I cant recall a single point where the vast majority wasn't totally against this movie being made.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
28% isn't a score someone gave the movie.

28% of critics gave it a poor review.
I know this breh.

28% is the average professional critics gave this movie which means the majority of critics felt like this movie is worse than batman and robin. Either that or critics overreacted with the negative reviews.

I didn't even like the movie, but I could see the hate from miles away. This movie was bound to be a critical failure.