black folks reactions to Black Panther have been pathetic

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I used to work a movie theatre when cacs were dressing up like buffoons during the Harry potter movies, rocking capes and shyt

Let people enjoy something breh, black folk kinda earned this one plus the movie is apparently kinda militant :manny:
I remember going to see one of them Jar Jar Binx Star Wars movies back in highschool and these cacs got in the front of the theater and had a whole "light saber" battle before the movie started. Full costumes and everything. When wonder woman came out they had women only showings of the movie.
Solidarity at an All-Female Screening of ‘Wonder Woman’
The majority of people aren't doing all that. The idea of superheroes they can relate to just means something to people regardless of race, gender, etc....

MysticMonroe

All Star
Daps
I look at it like a good start. Going to see this movie won't solve all of our problems but I feel like it shows that we can come together and support each others projects. Not just the movie. People were buying clothing from black owned businesses. There are women going to the movies wearing Fenty Beauty Rihannas brand, styling their hair with black owned hair products. Men using Bevel the black owned shaving products or Shea moisture products for men. The black designers online making outfits for people.

Add to that the positive black representation, there will be a lot of people dressed like characters in the movie on Halloween. I see that we've come a long way from not supporting other black movies.

Daps
I got no problem with the reactions but after this I don't want anymore Criticism of anime fanatics because we had grown ass men walk into the theater with coming to America outfits ...:mjlol:damn fur lion on your shoulder to go see black panther. Got no right to criticize cosplay or anime fandom :russ:

Na the coli got a large coalition known as the #AAgang that shyts heavily on Africans. They wouldn't be caught dead in African garb or at that movie....I assume.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I felt the same way when Lemonade came out. The reaction from shea butter Twitter was so pathetic that I nearly quit feminism altogether. When Beyonce became the patron saint of black feminism, I KNEW we were fukked.

I've been reading BP all my life, and I admit I got teary-eyed at the Storm/Black Panther marriage (and again at the separation). But for fukk's sake, IT'S JUST A MOVIE. I think it vindicates the black dollar and the black audience, but life-changing? fukk outta here.

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
nikka wtf are you even talking about? And no, I don't shop for anything on Black Friday because you can get cheaper prices on everything throughout the year

I'm talking about motherfukkers like you with your scrooge mcgrinch attitude seeing people happy about something and coming with your "w-w-well they didn't do enough" attitude just so your types can feel superior to another human being

Lesfilles

Pro
Daps
So I'm wrong and should get over, for being "bitter and negative" that Black folks are not as hyped as they are with BP as they should be towards slavery, Tuskegee experiment, Marcus Garvey, Malcom X, Dr. King, Trayvon, and Barack?

I'm not assuming, but instead reflecting on history and the current wealth gap between Asians and Blacks
If you read about the unified reaction by both the underworld and heavily politically connected civilian Asians, and those in between, to the climate of Anti-Asian rhetoric / actions from the early to middle 20th century, then you would know about calculated efforts and sacrifices that they make to ensure that Chinatown and Koreantown and other Asian communities are thriving today, regardless of which state

There was the recent thread that further highlights my point of them maintaining perspective regarding the Korean manufacturers of weave and hair products that are solely selling in bulks to Korean merchant, despite being able to make more if they sold in bulks to all merchants

to "figure out" human behavior is not difficult. Humans are susceptible to conditioning. Unless trained and strong willed, humans will take the easier road to achievement, road of least resistance...thus partly why the existence of koons and praising of symbolic gestures as progress

if Asians are not dependent on positive imagery from American media for motivation to be on code, then obviously Black folks don't either OR any other humans

None of those shows you claim to be positive representations would echo a well needed message to black folks similar to Marcus Garvey, Elijah Mohammad or Malcom X, despite them also being positive representations. Because the movies and shows are for pure entertainment purposes

Like Asians, we wouldn't need to overreact to media portrayals because there are other sources for inspiration, aspiration, motivations and to spark wishful thinking. The aforementioned names' message and positive representations, call to arms demands much more commitment and sacrifice than a remote to switch channels or retwits, thus why they "didn't take off "

smh. You tried to justify by wishful thinking claim and by
-lazily comparing the suppose hype of Asians to a movie, to justify hype of Black folks for BP. While ignoring that while Asians are not always represented in them media, they are still remaining on code whether not the movie is released

-then you proceed to justify the lack of profiting from "our culture", after you complaining about others using "our culture." Further went down the symbolic gesture path by talmbowt how black folks are "profiting" because "some black children are going to be inspired by seeing black people lead their own society and work towards change." Despite such representations already existing

Living in the age of social media, there are no excuses for not finding anything. Positive Role models expescially

One more positive representation via a fictional characters is hurting Black folks because their entire existence revolves around creatives trying to make a profit and be successful, to secure the bag and open up other opportunities for themselves. They have a price, agenda, and a script, nothing more. Unlike the aforementioned positive role models and the many others that are current making sacrifices for Black folks

To your first point: Yes, you should get over it. Sadly, many black people know nothing much about slavery, the Tuskegee experiment, Marcus Garvey, Malcom X, Dr. King, Trayvon, and Barack and it's ok with them...so it's going to have to be ok with you. You have no authority over anyone to demand that they take pride in the same things as you. If people choose to put their faith and hope into fictional characters, that's their decision. You're also making the assumption that we've all had the access to the same information or, better yet, the desire to learn the same things. I take no issue with those black people less educated in black history than myself and I won't shame them for their lack of knowledge, we don't all get the same opportunities, please try to remember that.

To the other stuff....

You did make an assumption. Bottom line is, you don't need socioeconomic issues to want better representation. You've not been able to refute that and you won't be able to. Taking an interest in your representation has nothing to do with socioeconomics, income or wealth. Asians don't control any aspect of north american media and so despite their ethnic/racial successes, their representation to the world is still at the hands of whites. Your argument against what I'm saying is lazy based on the pure fact that it can't be proven because 'Crazy Rich Asians' hasn't even come out yet...so they are 'staying on code' how? They are already talking about it and being excited and the full cast hasn't even been confirmed. And what 'code' are black people breaking by going to support a film that was directed by a black person and stars black people? Elaborate please.

When did I justify lack of profiting off 'our culture'....first and foremost, like I said to the other poster...your very existence is making a white person money, so the idiotic logic that not supporting black panther is somehow blocking whites from getting paid is simply that: idotic. People are claiming they're going to bootleg..ok..who is making those blank CDs?...the Sharpie marker to scribble "BP" on the disc? The case or cover it will come in? Where did you buy that recording camera from? LOL...you're ALWAYS lining a white person's pocket- that's how the system is set-up. I clearly stated that our (meaning black...which idk, some of you might not be since all you care about is white people) culture is being exported and we barely have representation in that exporting -- of all things, we profit more from the representation, which would, of course, be the point...not understanding what you think you're getting at - it's likely a hard miss either way... these people did in-fact get paid to star in this movie so income was earned by black actors...

Like I said most things require more effort, but you don't know why people chose to either engage or disengage unless they explicitly tell you. You're assumption that everyone is too lazy or too dumb to do more is strictly that...an assumption.

"living in the age of social media, there are no excuses for not finding anything. Positive Role models expescially

One more positive representation via a fictional characters is hurting Black folks because their entire existence revolves around creatives trying to make a profit and be successful, to secure the bag and open up other opportunities for themselves. They have a price, agenda, and a script, nothing more. Unlike the aforementioned positive role models and the many others that are current making sacrifices for Black folks"

Living in the age of social media they found...wait for it...Black Panther, a positive role model.... I don't understand the point you think you're making here either. There is nothing wrong with people finding inspiration in Black Panther. Just because there are other people that you can look up to, doesn't mean you can't also look up to this character.

The whole second paragraph is pure emotion and assumption...there is no logic there. One more positive representation is hurting black folks...cause it's fictional???..cause the point is to make profit???...ummm...sorry to break it to you but most people have an agenda. Whites got rich off The Cosby Show, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, That's So Raven....just like they get rich off black musicians and athletes - what makes Black Panther so different from these other fictional representations? What about people who love Huey Freeman from the Boondocks, he's a fictional character a lot of people find inspiration in, maybe even admire...are they not allowed to enjoy him because he's fictional and created with the agenda of being a polarizing cartoon character so that Aaron McGruder can simply open more opportunities for himself???

I'm just failing to see why you guys don't have a problem with any of the other stuff but Black Panther is really just pissing you off.

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Some folks need to read the autobiography of Malcolm x, hopefully they decide to.