Igbo influence in Black American culture

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
& the worst part is.... we cant even go back to the continent and get our original cultures back because the continental Africans adopted the European culture too :mjcry:

Cultures gone forever :mjcry:

Everything watered down :mjcry:

200.gif
You guys on here vastly overestimate the european influence in Africa lol.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This. Many Black Americans dont appreciate being associated with african cultures. This will likely ruffle alot of feathers here.

They have voluntarily been calling themselves Afro Americans, African Americans and pan Africans for a long time, so I am pretty sure that your statement is false. On top of that African Americans are well aware of their connection to Africa, because of the Gullah Geechee, brer rabbit and stuff like the Blues. African Americans have always known of some connection that they have had to Mali, even when White people used the term "Timbuktu" in a derogatory manner. African Americans have also known about their connection to Sierra Leone and Liberia since the American revolution. So your statement is simply not true.

I think the true issue is that people, especially Nigerians and Caribbean people, assume a lot about African Americans don't know where they are from. Which is crazy considering that African Americans have kept more African traditions alive then most people in the Caribbean. The truth is that African American ancestry is from all over West, Central and Southeast Africa. So the influences are many. It is not just from one specific group or another, which is what Igbo people are always trying to claim. African Americans are not just from Igbo people. They are also from Fulani, Hausa, Yoruba, Gao, Akan, Mande, Kongo, Angolan, etc.

hatealot

Banned
Daps
Mende probably in Sierra Leone.

My family I believe was involved with that video. My grandmother and other family members went to the Penn School I believe.i would have to fact check with my moms though . There is a Sierra Leone festival every year in their town . One of my mothers cousin went to Sierra Leone and they compared their traditions from basket weaving and beliefs with the elders in Sierra Leone and it was very similar if not identical to the folks In South Carolina

invalid

Banned
Daps
where does this black people don't make mashed potatoes shyt come from? both sides of my family has always makes that shyt brehs :gucci:

it comes from dumb ass posters. we eat mashed potatoes more than we eat rice.

in my adult years, I can’t even stand to eat rice. almost have an aversion to it.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
We got the fried chicken from Scottish people but the seasoning is straight African.

Definitely a lot of overlap in the cultures which shouldn't come as a surprise. We have a distinct American identity but Igbo (and other groups) played a part in it...since that's where our ancestors came from.

The Scottish are the most Demonic cacs know to man :pacspit:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it comes from dumb ass posters. we eat mashed potatoes more than we eat rice.

in my adult years, I can’t even stand to eat rice. almost have an aversion to it.

You are making another equally dumb ass statement after writing that some poster made a dumb ass statement. Black people brought rice growing to America and they brought a lot of rice dishes with them like Jambalaya and Hoppin John.

Finding a Lost Strain of Rice, and Clues to Slave Cooking
Finding a Lost Strain of Rice, and Clues to Slave Cooking (Published 2018)

Hoppin’ John and How African Slaves Influenced Bean-and-Rice Culture

https://www.postandcourier.com/free...cle_2ceafcd1-8c0c-5430-8b29-0d68c7e99336.html