Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Hot take I think h20 better than Halloween 2018

I can see it. I disagree lol but I can see why someone would say that. But to homies earlier point, H20 being clearly neutered behind the scenes, along with its awful score and journeyman directing means I can’t put it up there at all. It feels too much like an episode of Dawson’s creek in retrospect. And that’s fine. It’s exactly where horror was in 98 and everyone wanted to be like Scream. But it hasn’t aged as well as I’d hoped.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You should try to get through it when you get the chance... It's nowhere near as good as the first flick as that one had George A Romero's direction and a better feel of those 50's horror comics, the production values are just overall better. The second one is basically 80's horror/camp... The first story is the slowest and weakest one, the other 2 get to the point much quicker and have most of the entertaining fukkery in them.

Ah so it gets better :russ:

Good. Creepshow tv show coming this year :wow:

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
Watched Creepshow 2 with my youngest niece and nephew on Saturday.. and they actually enjoyed it and wanted to see more stories when it was done.:dwillhuh:

I had to cut through and make them cover their eyes during The Raft story when ol nerd boy gropes the girl while she's sleep [dude casually sexually assaulting girl in her sleep smh] and that scene in the Hitchhiker where she smashes his skull to bits against the tree.
classic anthology movie, definitely better than the first to me

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
Speaking of anthology movies, I'll say that there are few modern horror movies on the level of VHS and VHS 2 (especially 2). All-time favs

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
I think it was supposed to be a metamodern approach because it was pretty inexplicable otherwise.
I see your point. But why bother when there's no actual subtext about horror films, just about art vs art criticism vs selling art

I think Dan Gilroy got ushered in to the big leagues without any robust filmmaking chops

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
maybe that's too harsh. But Nightcrawler and Roman Israel both had dumb ways about structuring their stories, to me.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I see your point. But why bother when there's no actual subtext about horror films, just about art vs art criticism vs selling art

I think Dan Gilroy got ushered in to the big leagues without any robust filmmaking chops

Pure overly critical theory here from me; but looking at Metanarratives as an attempt to balance postmodern self-awareness with appreciation for modernist tropes you get a postmodern satire of the artworld invaded by a completely straight take on horror. The satire is completely aware of how insane and exploitative the artworld can be whereas adding in the possessed artwork attacking the exploiters adds a subtext that art and creativity should still be taken seriously. Thanks to how ambiguous the kill selection is, it's tough to put anything certain on it but my take on the kills plays into this. The people who really see the art get inspired, go back to their roots and survive (Malkovich for example). The people who only see the art for monetary gain are the ones who get literally consumed by it (becoming part of the art that kills them). That also doubles for how the artworld has already consumed them and taken away their original creativity/passion. So we get the two clashing genres to express to separate messages that could easily be confused or conflated.

Satire: The artworld has taken objectivity out of art and replaced it with profit motives and narcissism.
Horror: Art and the passion to create should be taken seriously.

So basically; the horror elements are used to make sure we don't mistake jokes about the world of art trading with the actual art being created.

Some supporting elements:
- The Morf (the critic) literally gets his eyes checked because his attack on his GF's ex exposed to everybody that he's not an objective viewer of art.
- Damrish (Daveed Diggs character) notices the art moves while josephina doesn't take him seriously.
- Running eye motifs before characters die...I think that leans in to seeing someone (or something) for what they truly are.
- The satire is really on the nose but characters are consistently offended when Gretchen (toni collette) tries to set up blatant grifts. While they're all completely oblivious Rhodora's (renee russo) more sneaky grifts.
- Everyone that dies is in some way shape or form trying hide, distract from or destroy the possessed art.

There's more, I'm tryna piece it together to write something on it and kick off some horror reviewing to stack on my medium account. I figure this one's a good place to start because it's really divisive on opinions but I can build a decent case around the plot.

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
Pure overly critical theory here from me; but looking at Metanarratives as an attempt to balance postmodern self-awareness with appreciation for modernist tropes you get a postmodern satire of the artworld invaded by a completely straight take on horror. The satire is completely aware of how insane and exploitative the artworld can be whereas adding in the possessed artwork attacking the exploiters adds a subtext that art and creativity should still be taken seriously. Thanks to how ambiguous the kill selection is, it's tough to put anything certain on it but my take on the kills plays into this. The people who really see the art get inspired, go back to their roots and survive (Malkovich for example). The people who only see the art for monetary gain are the ones who get literally consumed by it (becoming part of the art that kills them). That also doubles for how the artworld has already consumed them and taken away their original creativity/passion. So we get the two clashing genres to express to separate messages that could easily be confused.
I could not find a real purpose for Malkovich being in the movie until I read that, so kudos

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
That Horror Noire documentary is on Shudder, been waiting for this one - :blessed:available to watch.
From Blacula to Get Out: the documentary examining black horror
First Trailer for 'Horror Noire' Takes a Deep Dive into Black Horror Cinema History

"One of the surprises of Horror Noire, a new documentary examining how black characters fare in horror cinema.
Horror-streaming service Shudder, a favorite among genre enthusiasts, is about to roll out their first original documentary, Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror. This must-watch doc for cinephiles, film history buffs, and socially conscious people alike is based on Dr. Robin R. Means Coleman‘s book of the same name. The underrepresented area of study will be explored to examine the roles that Black people have played both on the screen and behind the camera for more than a century"

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
That Horror Noire documentary is on Shudder, been waiting for this one - :blessed:available to watch.
From Blacula to Get Out: the documentary examining black horror
First Trailer for 'Horror Noire' Takes a Deep Dive into Black Horror Cinema History

"One of the surprises of Horror Noire, a new documentary examining how black characters fare in horror cinema.
Horror-streaming service Shudder, a favorite among genre enthusiasts, is about to roll out their first original documentary, Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror. This must-watch doc for cinephiles, film history buffs, and socially conscious people alike is based on Dr. Robin R. Means Coleman‘s book of the same name. The underrepresented area of study will be explored to examine the roles that Black people have played both on the screen and behind the camera for more than a century"
I follow them on twitter.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I stayed up late last night (cause i fukked up in Resident Evil and i was in my feels :mjcry:) but i watched this goofy ass movie called Deadly Dolls -Deeper Cuts.
:mjlol:

One of those so bad its good movies, even tho it really wasnt good at all it was just so silly i got pulled in and couldnt turn it off.
Had to do my Googles and them dolls from that one movie Demonic Toys is in this. They went up against the Puppet Master buddies too one time and Dollman was in this shyt too.
Just mad B- movie fukkery!
:lolbron:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC