Was there a big talent gap between Tom Brady and the QB's in his era?

premier58

All Star
Daps
The '94 Niners are one of the greatest teams of all time by several metrics. That's Seifert well beyond the Walsh years. Was he a better coach than Walsh? Hell no... but he got the job done.
Yeah after the front office had to sign countless players to finally get over the hump..he blew the three peat in 90, missed the playoffs in 91, got handled by Dallas in 92/93. Got owned by GB in 95/96. In between that, he got a we will do anything to finally win a ring again, Superbowl.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm a Brady guy, I'm a Manning guy...

There is no dispute that alot of Brady's championship runs were aided greatly by officiating, and/or cheating coaching staff, and/or dominant defenses, and/or inept coaching by the opponent, and/or some All-Time clutch field goal making, etc. If we're gonna have a full scale Brady convo we gotta keep it honest...

Now, the difference to me is, none of them exempt Brady from being the GOAT because the legendary performances he put forth, HE still had to perform. Nobody was standing in there for him..

Two things can be true, Brady won alot because he consistently stepped up to the plate in Money Time, but he also won alot because the opposing coaching staff and quarterback inexplicably didn't know how to protect a 25-point 3rdQ lead in the Super Bowl; or the opposing coaching staff decided when you have an All-Pro RB who led The League in rush TDs that season, not to run that man repeatedly from the goal line; or your team's defense held a historic offense to just 3 points in the Super Bowl; and this was almost 20 years after his defense holding another historic offense to only 17 points when Brady had just 145 yards and an All-Time kicker boot the win...

All of these things can be true at the same time. Brady could have had the exact same performances he had in most of his wins and still lost, if one decision or play went the other way. And I'm not even bringing up his good fortune BEFORE the Super Bowl, like the Tuck Rule that should've lost them the game...

He's the GOAT, I saw his whole career. He also had a LOT of good fortune!

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Brady is on average a better decision maker than Manning. You keep referring to Belichick.as if he didnt have collapses any other time. The man set the record for pick sixes thrown in a season, which got his coach fired. He threw 19 more ints in 2002. Threw 28 ints in 98. Threw an awful pick to Polamalu that was mistakenly overturned in the 05 playoffs. 7 ints in 4 playoff games in 2006. Including two more to Ty Law when he was in KC. You are acting as if he didnt make mistakes aside from vs Belichick or something. What about those 6 inte vs SD oñ SNF in 2007? Inc three to Antonio Cromartie alone?? The 16 ints in 2009, which culminated in a pick six to Tracy Porter??!

You're bringing up picks Manning threw in random games lol... so what? He still had the second most passing yards and second most TD passes in NFL playoff history. You're acting like he never showed out when it mattered.

premier58

All Star
Daps
I'm saying it because posters have stated that Brady has "more between the ears" than Manning did. What do we have as evidence of that? Beli put on a masterclass against Manning's offense twice. That has nothing to do with how well Brady played or didn't play in the games.

The issue here is people want to act like this is the NBA or something. Football is the ultimate TEAM SPORT...

Manning did generally have pretty bad defenses a lot of years which contributed to him having less Super Bowl wins. Is that his fault?
Once again, youre addressing something I never brought up. Bradys elite performance, no matter the circumstance and his longevity, make him great..its nor just SB rings. You keep using that as a copout as if there arent ways to extrapolate a QBs individual performance, when there are plenty of metrics that do so. Aside from 2000, I cant think of a playoff game where his defense cost him. It was mostly Manning, underperforming.

premier58

All Star
Daps
O
You're bringing up picks Manning threw in random games lol... so what? He still had the second most passing yards and second most TD passes in NFL playoff history. You're acting like he never showed out when it mattered.
I was combating what you said. Didnt I just say that Brady and Manning were the two best QBs ever, by advanced metrics?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Yeah after the front office had to sign countless players to finally get over the hump..he blew the three peat in 90, missed the playoffs in 91, got handled by Dallas in 92/93. Got owned by GB in 95/96. In between that, he got a we will do anything to finally win a ring again, Superbowl.

Nah.. there's no "oh but the front office.... " here... He won two Super Bowls and you bringing up 1990 tells me you aren't familiar with the history. Montana got fukked up in the NFC CG against the Giants...

How exactly did Seifert "blow" that game? He's supposed to do something about Montana getting fukked up?

premier58

All Star
Daps
Nah.. there's no "oh but the front office.... " here... He won two Super Bowls and you bringing up 1990 tells me you aren't familiar with the history. Montana got fukked up in the NFC CG against the Giants...

How exactly did Seifert "blow" that game? He's supposed to do something about Montana getting fukked up?
Lol at me not being familiar. I watched the game live and I cried when SF lost. Montana got fuked up?!?! No shyt!! Its only one of the most notorious plays in NFL history. They still had the lead and blew it, to a backup Qb. Allowed that fake punt which stole all ths momentum. Young was already starter level, so they still shouldve been able to put them away.

premier58

All Star
Daps

I dont know the history?!?!, lmao!! You thoughr you dropped a gem or something?! 89 was Walshs team. The HOF must not think highly of that win, because Tom Flores is in and George is not..

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm saying it because posters have stated that Brady has "more between the ears" than Manning did. What do we have as evidence of that? Beli put on a masterclass against Manning's offense twice. That has nothing to do with how well Brady played or didn't play in the games.

The issue here is people want to act like this is the NBA or something. Football is the ultimate TEAM SPORT...

Manning did generally have pretty bad defenses a lot of years which contributed to him having less Super Bowl wins. Is that his fault?
Between the ears...

Manning isn't overcoming no 25-point Super Bowl deficit. We know this because we saw him lose a Super Bowl by 35 🤣...

Manning wasn't a resilient player when things got going awry. An '02 Jets team that won just 9 games and got the doors beat off them the next round (20-point loss), beat Manning and the Colts by 6 fukking touchdowns in a Wild Card game. This is the earliest I remember people questioning what Manning was made of, and unfortunately it was a harbinger of things to come...

I hated dude when he played because I'm a Titan. I grew to appreciate him, but he definitely didn't have the same resiliency as Brady. 41-point Wild Card loss to a 9-win team?

Manning had the edge as the better player in the regular season but Brady separated big time in the playoffs...

premier58

All Star
Daps

Do me a favor and let me know where this link I posted, mentions any championships..

premier58

All Star
Daps
Between the ears...

Manning isn't overcoming no 25-point Super Bowl deficit. We know this because we saw him lose a Super Bowl by 35 🤣...

Manning wasn't a resilient player when things got going awry. An '02 Jets team that won just 9 games and got the doors beat off them the next round (20-point loss), beat Manning and the Colts by 6 fukking touchdowns in a Wild Card game. This is the earliest I remember people questioning what Manning was made of, and unfortunately it was a harbinger of things to come...

I hated dude when he played because I'm a Titan. I grew to appreciate him, but he definitely didn't have the same resiliency as Brady. 41-point Wild Card loss to a 9-win team?

Manning had the edge as the better player in the regular season but Brady separated big time in the playoffs...
This is real. Ppl forget that after that NYJ playoff loss, that Mike Vanderjagt was questioning his leadership and demeanor. Peyton put the fear of god into me as an opposing fan, but we still have to acknowledge the collapses. Same with Brady. My favorite player along with Jerry Rice, but he bytched out vs the Ravens in the 2009 playoffs, he had no business losing to the NYG in either year. He also choked vs the NYJ in his unanimous MVP season. I will always give credence to that, because its the truth.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Actually this is very profound. He found a way to stay healthy, against all odds.

The way it was being reported, when Peyton Manning got hurt the media made it seem like his head had to be reattached and his neck was tethered to some scotch tape.

Last edited: