When Did Rap Become So Ridiculous?

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
The 90's wasn't that good.

Most of the crap playing on radio in the 90s fukking sucked, and it wasn't conscious rap.

THe golden era never played on the radio in my area.

The best albums from the 90's (cuban linx, infamous) were about crime and drugs. I don't really see the difference from today. Today's music has better production though.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
I hate to even entertain this point but the differences between 1920's jazz and today rap are so stark its not even worth mentioning. There is a clear message in rap and it isn't even subliminal. The message : Degrade yourself and black people. Everyone in their right mind knows something must be done with rap.few have the balls to each call these artist to task. The question is What and when is something going to be done to avert the destruction they've caused.The damage it has caused our youth is castostrophic. And these artist are the same type of individuals who would have sold their own people in slavery. their are about as despicable as one could be.
you could have stopped right there

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you could have stopped right there

I didn't say it was the same criticisms. I'm just pointing out that the criticism was there from people who didn't understand the music. Look I don't even listen to today's rap artists, i'm stuck in the 90s, but i'm not going to stand on my soap box and complain about today's music like a disgruntled old head.

I came up on Too Short, NWA, Luke etc. Who I'm I to talk down on people that enjoy Gucci and Chief Keef? (And for the record, i think both of these artists suck balls).

There are people who connect with these artists for whatever reason. Let them do them.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
I didn't say it was the same criticisms. I'm just pointing out that the criticism was there from people who didn't understand the music. Look I don't even listen to today's rap artists, i'm stuck in the 90s, but i'm not going to stand on my soap box and complain about today's music like a disgruntled old head.

I came up on Too Short, NWA, Luke etc. Who I'm I to talk down on people that enjoy Gucci and Chief Keef? (And for the record, i think both of these artists suck balls).

sorry breh, I don't find rap complicated or the artists to be tortured souls beyond my understanding
just cats peddling low grade (and sometimes toxic) product to undiscriminating consumers (ie kids)
Q553onY.png

There are people who connect with these artists for whatever reason. Let them do them.

I totally don't, so let me do me
Q553onY.png

and to be clear my real problem is a lack of diversity in hip hop

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Thoughts:

- This article is trying too hard.
- Rap has always been "rediculous" in the sense the author is using here.
- Jurassic 5 sucks.
- You can make "music with a message" that doesn't suck...but
1. you really have to be good at it, because it's hard
2. sometimes, people don't care about your "message"
3. If you are a professional rapper, a lot of times you have to promote another persons' "message"

tmonster

Superstar
Daps

that's the thing, you can find songs that I like
but when I turn on the radio
1. they rarely play them (it's usually older hip hop)and 2. they become like a trojan horse because the very next song is pushing some of the most misogynist and ignant shyt on the airwaves

in addition the hosts on the locals hip hop stations (especially the morning ones) be saying some trifling ignant shyt)

I can't do it anymore

i was on a local road mid-morning the other day (it had just started getting warm) some dude rolled up blasting the fat bald correctional officer guy (can't think of his name) and every other word was bytch this bytch that fukk this fukk that, I mean damn, it's like 11 am breh.

as an adult I know what I like
I know what I am willing to put up with
and in this crowded digital and electronic storage age, I really don't have to submit myself to such unpleasantness

So I inadvertently consume some of it but I don't try to look for it anymore

I'm old breh, this is how it gets I guess:flabbynsick:

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
"hip hop today treats women badly"

iX8iuTLHMWUQR.gif

but would they even play that on the radio back in the day it came out? or would it be on some underground hip hop midnigh hour show? remember the luke videos you could only see them on uhf bootlegy tv stations
there was a clear distinction between mainstream and underground stuff, but in this day and age of "infamy sells", anything goes.