Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that's the thing, you can find songs that I like
but when I turn on the radio
1. they rarely play them (it's usually older hip hop)and 2. they become like a trojan horse because the very next song is pushing some of the most misogynist and ignant shyt on the airwaves

in addition the hosts on the locals hip hop stations (especially the morning ones) be saying some trifling ignant shyt)

I can't do it anymore

i was on a local road mid-morning the other day (it had just started getting warm) some dude rolled up blasting the fat bald correctional officer guy (can't think of his name) and every other word was bytch this bytch that fukk this fukk that, I mean damn, it's like 11 am breh.

as an adult I know what I like
I know what I am willing to put up with
and in this crowded digital and electronic storage age, I really don't have to submit myself to such unpleasantness

So I inadvertently consume some of it but I don't try to look for it anymore

I'm old breh, this is how it gets I guess:flabbynsick:

You outgrew the music. We all do. It's my theory that music never quite touches you the same way it did when you were a teen or in your early 20s. By the time you hit late 20s early 30s, you are already too cynical for music to hit you like it did when you were young.

The overwhelming majority of people's favorite music, is the music they grew up listening to in high school and college.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
You outgrew the music. We all do. It's my theory that music never quite touches you the same way it did when you were a teen or in your early 20s. By the time you hit late 20s early 30s, you are already too cynical for music to hit you like it did when you were young.

The overwhelming majority of people's favorite music, is the music they grew up listening to in high school and college.
I disagree so hard right now
bJoGnCK.png

I love music
I love listening to great talent perform
I was at the last Maxwell concert and did not want it to end
the crowd was vibing, the energy was positive and lovely
not one gratuitous curse word, not one derogatory comment towards women
Same thing happened at the last Brian McKnight concert

that's my zone, I'm good right there

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
there is a significant difference between the criticisms of "black music" of the past and rap music of today. in the past the criticisms were centered around the music being made by black people just because they were black. to them black = evil. it wasn't so much in regards to the musical content, lyrics or the message. in today's environment the difference is not only the toxic messages and imagery, but also the reach. today's music is more accessible than even 10 years ago. social media (twitter, ig, etc) carries it very far and when combined with radio spins and youtube clicks it resonates much more than before.

to say rap is in as good space now as it ever has been would be grossly inaccurate. from the beginning of the rap genre up until about 10 or 15 years ago there was always a more diverse set of artists and topics getting more equal exposure than today. conscious rap, reality rap, black empowerment rap, party rap, gangsta rap, etc was on equal ground. today there that is no longer the case. conscious rap, reality rap, black empowerment rap have virtually no representation today. there are no public enemies, native tongues, popular artists from the mid to late 80s (rakim, cool j, moe d, krs, etc who mixed their styles with positive messages), movies like house party or beat street, etc. music of that time created a much needed balance to the burgeoning gangsta rap genre.

so is today's rap music more of a problem than in the past? by itself i'd say not really. the messages aren't much different. the problem is the drastic decrease in diversity and over-exposure negative and destructive messages get in today's environment. i blame media decision makers such as record industry execs and radio management. they have made a decision to reduce the diversity. i don't buy it when they say "they're just giving the people what they want" because i think there can be space for more diverse artist if the industry would expend the same effort as it did in the past instead of just settling for the lowest common denominator. not to be tinfoil hat about it, but i think they purposefully decided to not backfill conscious or empowerment rap once those artist got past their prime. instead they chose to double down on aggressive and edgy rap which has become increasingly negative. that's not to judge those artist, but more to judge the industry for not giving other artist with more positive messages fair opportunities.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
It's a classic anti-simp anthem :lolbron: on a classic album but that shyt isn't what you'd call female friendly and @tmonster, what mainstream rap back then was?. Still cracks me up though

:dead:
It's a cautionary tale. "Treat her like a prostitute, don't treat no girlie well until you sure of the scoop." The ruler was dropping jewels on a young Mephistopheles. :wow:

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
It's a classic anti-simp anthem :lolbron: on a classic album but that shyt isn't what you'd call female friendly and @tmonster, what mainstream rap back then was?. Still cracks me up though

:dead:
well go and listen to other slick rick songs
I loved listening to big daddy kane, kid and play, special ed
the list goes on and on
there is a clear erosion in the quality of the music and an increase in gratuitous vulgarity and casual sociopathy

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You have to be white to say "I don't follow rap anymore"

Rap is entertainment. You lost for ever thinking it was anything else

Rap is in a good space now as it has ever been

your a fool if you think rap or any other form of entertainment is merely just "entertainment". Birth of a Nation was just "entertainment" right? I'm finished arguing over the question of whether rap has a negative influence on blacks. It's quite obvious. And if you can't see that than your a dumb-ass. And you whole premise that one must be white to denounce rap is ridiculous. This is the insanity of modern day black America. Denounce entities that actively degrade blacks get called "white" or "uncle tom". Brush off entities that actively degrade blacks and your "black" card is retained. This is insane. When did blacks in America become so damn dumb. :dead:

Kritic

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
no self respecting negro should be listening to this garbage called gangsta rap. this is music pushed on the black community by the zionists while profiting off it.
they are driving yall down the cliff. this garbage has been pushed on the black community for so long it now defines the culture.
i'm sorry for those who think it's just entertainment.
the black community will not get out of this war on drugs, racism and the sambos performing gangsta rap.

it's sad that the realest nicca in the rap game (immortal technic) isn't even black.
when krs supported nicki minaj (or any artist signed to a major record label) he lost his credibility.

see you in hell you stupid mfs.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
your a fool if you think rap or any other form of entertainment is merely just "entertainment". Birth of a Nation was just "entertainment" right? I'm finished arguing over the question of whether rap has a negative influence on blacks. It's quite obvious. And if you can't see that than your a dumb-ass. And you whole premise that one must be white to denounce rap is ridiculous. This is the insanity of modern day black America. Denounce entities that actively degrade blacks get called "white" or "uncle tom". Brush off entities that actively degrade blacks and your "black" card is retained. This is insane. When did blacks in America become so damn dumb. :dead:

It was always white folks praising this or that rapper and saying this and that other rapper is ignorant.

I remember back in those days. I would go to Living Legends, Heiro, or MURs concerts and the vast majority of the audience was always white. Then you had those elitists like Anticon and Hip-hop infinity.com......bunch of white dudes that would always clown on Cuban linx or Mobb deep because it was uncivilized. Anything from the south, that wasn't Outkast, was automatically deemed "low-brow" music by the Whites and to the Filipinos and Asians to a large degree too.

All the while, dudes like EL-p were getting all kinds of hype, and he didn't have any real message. He was just making weird music and he was white so he got praised.

Meanwhile, When I would go to a concert by e40, Mac Dre or, Spice-1, the entire audience would be black or latino.

LIke it or not. Conscious rap, Underground, and "real" hip-hop was mainly for white folks in 90s and early 2000's. I honest, don't know a single black person outside of this Forum that actually knows who MF doom is or even listens to his music. I listened to all that shyt real tough back then, and I listen to it now... All that shyt sucks. MF doom, Madvillian, JMT, MURs, Atmosphere, Cannibal Ox. It was just fukking weird, and a lot people just listened to it because they wanted to be part of that fukking Backpacker/hipster club especially here in the bay area.

Last edited:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
The article title is silly. There's plenty to criticize about what hip-hop has become, but it's always been ridiculous. It was the shyt back in the days--it was an exciting new form of music and subculture that made you proud to be a part of it and it defined cool--but it was always ridiculous. The oversized gold ropes, four finger rings, gaudy MCM suits, kangols, the uber-macho bragging, lyrics about Adidas, Pumas, and Filas, the Roxanne wars, later on the ugly bright shortset era with Cross Colours and Karl Kani--all that shyt was ridiculous. But we loved it.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
LIke it or not. Conscious rap, Underground, and "real" hip-hop was mainly for white folks in 90s and early 2000's. I honest, don't know a single black person outside of this Forum that actually knows who MF doom is or even listens to his music. I listened to all that shyt real tough back then, and I listen to it now... All that shyt sucks. MF doom, Madvillian, JMT, MURs, Atmosphere, Cannibal Ox. It was just fukking weird, and a lot people just listened to it because they wanted to be part of that fukking Backpacker/hipster club especially here in the bay area.

:whoa: MF Doom is still straight. He's basically absurdist, but he has a great sense of humor, some interesting beats and a distinctive delivery. I threw my backpack in the bushes but he's still dope.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
rap music isnt entertainment, rap music is part of the black identity and a part of black culture, for people to call it just entertainment is disgusting, but the thing is on the consumer side and the creator side that is the current mentality, that is why at the end of the day black people have to abandon rap music, its infested by people that have little respect and no vision for the future of black people

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
rap music isnt entertainment, rap music is part of the black identity and a part of black culture, for people to call it just entertainment is disgusting, but the thing is on the consumer side and the creator side that is the current mentality, that is why at the end of the day black people have to abandon rap music, its infested by people that have little respect and no vision for the future of black people
thank you

Kritic

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the late 80s was critical into leading black culture/rap music the wrong direction.
all those backpackers do make better music/entertainment. labels just collectively endorsed ignorant music because it was to their advantage and conspired against underground labels.

but of course ppl will side with the money because the marketing campaign of the bigger labels..