IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
I'm not sure if this has been posted already but I'll share it anyways for anyone who may be interested. Free cybersecurity training and exams from (ISC)²

Source Link One Million Certified in Cybersecurity – Free (ISC)2 Certification Exams

(ISC)² Pledges One Million FREE (ISC)² Certified in Cybersecurity℠ Courses and Exams​

See yourself in cybersecurity. You don’t need experience — just the passion and drive to enter a demanding and rewarding field, one that opens limitless opportunities worldwide.

As part of our commitment to help close the cybersecurity workforce gap and diversify those working in the field, (ISC)² is offering FREE Certified in Cybersecurity (CC) Online Self-Paced Training and exams to one million people.

Advancing DEI in Cybersecurity

To encourage diversity, equity and inclusion in the workforce, (ISC)² will work closely with partner organizations as part of this program to reach populations underrepresented in cybersecurity. We’ve pledged half of the commitment – 500,000 course enrollment
Subbed

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah 734/1000 and I needed 750 to pass smh. Basically failed by 1 question.

If I would have even reviewed shyt for a day before the exam I would have passed. Or even if I just went back and looked at flagged questions I could have fixed 1 of them and passed. I had over an hour left when I clicked submit. That’s on me for being lazy and dumb :mjcry:

Oh well I’ll actually study a little bit to make sure I’m familiar with the concepts in the newest version of the exam before taking it again in a couple weeks.
Retook it last night and passed with 807/1000

I think I studied maybe 3 hours since the first failed attempt. It’s so hard for me to spend time studying these days. Major difference was I wasn’t tired when I took it.

Crazy part is I swear all the questions were exactly the same. I always assumed they pulled from a large pool of questions. But nah these were the same and even in the same order. Weird.

Anyway I’ll probably take a break for a couple weeks and then attempt the security specialty exam

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
For any brehs interested Udemy is having another special this time it's geared towards new users. Expires in 6 hours.
rllvkrx.png
Retook it last night and passed with 807/1000

I think I studied maybe 3 hours since the first failed attempt. It’s so hard for me to spend time studying these days. Major difference was I wasn’t tired when I took it.

Crazy part is I swear all the questions were exactly the same. I always assumed they pulled from a large pool of questions. But nah these were the same and even in the same order. Weird.

Anyway I’ll probably take a break for a couple weeks and then attempt the security specialty exam
Congrats how long did you study for it? And do you think someone with a CCNA/Network+ background could pass it as well?

Last edited:

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
For any brehs interested Udemy is having another special this time it's geared towards new users. Expires in 6 hours.
rllvkrx.png

Congrats how long did you study for it? And do you think someone with a CCNA/Network+ background could pass it as well?
Nah I have an CCNP (expired several years ago though) and none of that really applied.

The only thing that really came up is BGP and some minor subnetting. Literally everything else was AWS specific. But I studied probably 40-50 hours for a solutions architect pro cert earlier in the year and this one had a lot of overlap with that. So I didn’t study at all for this one, I just took it (and failed). The second attempt I studied maybe 3-4 hours and it was only the stuff that was really unfamiliar to me.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Nah I have an CCNP (expired several years ago though) and none of that really applied.

The only thing that really came up is BGP and some minor subnetting. Literally everything else was AWS specific. But I studied probably 40-50 hours for a solutions architect pro cert earlier in the year and this one had a lot of overlap with that. So I didn’t study at all for this one, I just took it (and failed). The second attempt I studied maybe 3-4 hours and it was only the stuff that was really unfamiliar to me.
Thanks, Breh. Good Luck with the security specialty exam.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
Got a interview next week for a Implementation Consultant position for a Health tech company. The interview will be a panel interview with 3 people that works for the company. Anyone ever done panel interviews?

Daps
Got a interview next week for a Implementation Consultant position for a Health tech company. The interview will be a panel interview with 3 people that works for the company. Anyone ever done panel interviews?

I've had panel interviews. They aren't that much different from one on one interviews except it's harder to build rapport.

Other people in the interview may follow up on someone else's question or your answer so you need to be consistent with what you say. And sense there is more than one person listening, sneaking in a BS answer won't work.

If you know the roles/titles of the people in the interview, you may be able to get a sense of their potential questions. Unless there's a jackass on the panel that's in the bag for another candidate, you should be fine.

I only had one panel interview that was a disaster and that was because weird circumstances turned it into a one on one interview with the head of technical operations.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I am browsing linkedin profiles of a lot people for the company I am interviewing for. Disappointed the recruiter rail roaded me despite having all the preferred qualifications. Such a shame :mjpls:. I am even looking at people they have hired. None of them had years of building cloud architecture but dude rail road and event went as far as cancelling the call that was scheduled by the recruiting coordinator.

I did hear back from another team. Soon as the recruiter sent the resume to my manager, team wants to interview but their availability has been complete ass. Not available last week, traveling for work this week so now I have to wait until next week and the recruiter is out of office this week :beli:. Had tons of time to review so I am prepared.

Hate this job hunting B.S. Ideally this is the company I want to work for going forward if everything goes correct.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Interesting you say skip A+. Why do you say that? I got my sec+ back in April and currently working on A+. A lot of basic information just a lot of it.

. I usually target certs base on job hits. It would be much more beneficial to focus on learning linux+ and network+ imo. I think it will make you more competitive. The place I work at will not look at the A+, linux matters a lot more to them.

WHolla09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
. I usually target certs base on job hits. It would be much more beneficial to focus on learning linux+ and network+ imo. I think it will make you more competitive. The place I work at will not look at the A+, linux matters a lot more to them.
Thanks for the info. I’ll probably go for network+ next

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
I've had panel interviews. They aren't that much different from one on one interviews except it's harder to build rapport.

Other people in the interview may follow up on someone else's question or your answer so you need to be consistent with what you say. And sense there is more than one person listening, sneaking in a BS answer won't work.

If you know the roles/titles of the people in the interview, you may be able to get a sense of their potential questions. Unless there's a jackass on the panel that's in the bag for another candidate, you should be fine.

I only had one panel interview that was a disaster and that was because weird circumstances turned it into a one on one interview with the head of technical operations.
Thanks for the advice. Had my interview yesterday and they want to move me to the final round :whew:

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
rllvkrx.png

Question are these the same as the ones offered with local library access? I ask because most major city local libraries have free account access to Udemy or equivalent competitor for their communities. Is this paid for service better or different info? You can get access to udemy for free just to clarify

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Question are these the same as the ones offered with local library access? I ask because most major city local libraries have free account access to Udemy or equivalent competitor for their communities. Is this paid for service better or different info? You can get access to udemy for free just to clarify
I didn't know that. You find a course and pay a monthly subscription. I will have to ask next time I go if my library does that. I know mine has a lot of free language-learning material being in Florida. And the computer material I've seen in the library is extremely rudimentary. Like how to type on a keyboard or use a web browser. If my library has any interactive labs, videos, and practice test geared toward what I want to learn I'll make a switch.

I'll go to the library today and see what they say

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
I didn't know that. You find a course and pay a monthly subscription. I will have to ask next time I go if my library does that. I know mine has a lot of free language-learning material being in Florida. And the computer material I've seen in the library is extremely rudimentary. Like how to type on a keyboard or use a web browser. If my library has any interactive labs, videos, and practice test geared toward what I want to learn I'll make a switch.

I'll go to the library today and see what they say
No problem breh, much respect to all you guys in this thread. I read thru the whole thing back when Covid first started, started taking some online classes thru Generation (would recommend) then Covid caught me and was put in hospital for a minute.. I couldnt post when I was locked in, I think board was locked, never seen that before but caught like a window to sign up..

My bro who started around same time with another program is at apple now, lol.. Im in process of selling some RE and gonna focus on this again while the market does whatever it does for the next year.. Ill probably be more in here adding what I can as I am just starting out but got ALOT of value out of this thread when I was tryna figure out what the hell was going on..

To get back on track and help other brehs here and in future who may use this as resource and do their research in their area, you pay taxes Library is a HUGE resource that most people dont use, I get soo much value from it besides books, inquire the people are hell of useful and most things dont get used much, have learned photography, they have upgraded multimedia and greenscreen stuff, even have 3-d printer to print your designs:

Gale Presents: Udemy

That link should help locate where has access and see if you can search your area, there are a couple different resources that offer the service.

You said florida, I am in south florida so the tri county area uses Gale but they switched to linkedinlearning (formerly lynda.com)

Broward County/fort lauderdale:
Lifelong Learning | Broward County Library

Miami Dade:
Learning & Training - Miami-Dade Public Library System

West Palm Beach:
New Service Added – Udemy | Palm Beach County Library System

For other Brehs Just google your city + Library free udemy or free online learning or such:
Example: L.A (they look like they have Udemy, Linkedinlearning and Coursera)
Online Learning | Los Angeles Public Library