Lauryn Hill and Rohan Marley are shytty parents

OVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
So she got spankings mostly as a young child that ceased by the time she was a middle schooler? So she was whooping y'all asses for misbehaving and stopped when y'all learned right from wrong and consequences:stopitslime:

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was surprised to see this sentiment expressed twice.

What did I write in my post that doesn't seem like an obvious assessment of the story?

What would I have had to been in her house to witness to point out the difference between Lauryn's upbringing and theirs?

Your post was full of assumptions. You said she didnt grow up around other kids to trade war stories. You know that? Thats just one I can point out unless you want to continue

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Spanking is not good for the mental health of children regardless of the glorification among black folks about it. There I said it.

Especially, the way I see the way some black mothers beating on their kids. They beat on their kids not to teach them a lesson but to take out their frustration. A lot of times over things not warranted. Tired of seeing black mothers calling their little boys and girls names to destroy their self-esteem and over some bullshyt like not walking next to them in a grocery store. Not saying every black parent does this but dudes who read this know exactly what I'm talking about.

So, nah, we don't need "more asswhoppings". A lot of black children grow up with emotional issues that never get addressed and this is definitely one contributing cause imo.

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So she got spankings mostly as a young child that ceased by the time she was a middle schooler? So she was whooping y'all asses for misbehaving and stopped when y'all learned right from wrong and consequences:stopitslime:
Youre 12 in the 6th grade. How much longer was she supposed to get spankings? 1-11 isnt long enough? :mindblown:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Bullshyt.

Lauryn is from a traditional home where kids got spankings and beatings. Her children grew up with other kids who weren't from the background. Otherwise they would have traded war stories in school about getting ass beatings.

Not saying that everything Lauryn did was right, but her rich children just grew up in different circumstances than Lauryn and her brother.

Spoiled rich kids.
This.

nothing she said is abnormal.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
If Rohan was a bum, it begs the question of why she kept having kids with him though.

200.gif

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
“You want me to embarrass you? You want me to give you something to cry about?”

RealAcademicEmu-size_restricted.gif

those words make you tighten up and walk straight.

I look back at my whoopings like :pachaha::pachaha::pachaha:. Truth be told, the ones I got I deserved, can only toe the line too long before :mjgrin:

but when you get the "imma let your dad deal with you" :whoa::whoa::whoa::lupe::lupe::lupe:

LebronsHairline

AKA Chief Green Leaf
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Her exposing all this says alot about lauryn as a parent, also not surprising ive barely ever heard good things about her

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
A lot of the oldheads(male/female) are not ready to have real convos..
About our upbringings..
It’s a fine line between corporal punishment and beatings..
nikkas want to harken back to the old days..
Not understanding those same whoopings with..
Electric cords
Switches
Shoes
Hands
Are not badges of honor..
Sure..
In hindsight you can say you deserved those whoopings..
May even say it worked for you and kept you in place..
But some others went through mental trauma..
A lot of killers were “whooped” as a kid..
Then as they get older..
Unleash that pain they dealt with all them years..
Onto the general public..
Or
Pass down the same abuse to their seeds..
Creating a cycle of violence..
Stop looking at shyt with nostalgia..
And actual listen for once and really ask yourself questions..
The human psyche is not as strong as some lead you to believe..
It’s very clear proof on this forum..

Last edited:

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t know what went in their household nor am I trying to justify it. I’m just saying that a good ass whooping is part of parenting and needed from time to time :yeshrug:

I know this view won’t be popular on twitter and outrage circles, but keep it a buck, we’ve all been kids. Sometimes your parents need to whoop you

Now I’m not saying they need to “beat” or “fukk you up”. Apply common sense please.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
You said bullshyt like you was there and know for a fact.
Bullshyt was for the thread title.

Your post was full of assumptions. You said she didnt grow up around other kids to trade war stories. You know that? Thats just one I can point out unless you want to continue
Slow your roll before you go off the tracks.

"Unless you want me to continue?" Like it's a threat. If you don't get the fukk outta my face with the bullshyt posturing.

Let me put it in layman's terms. The commercial success of her 2nd group and first solo album gave Ms. Hill the finances to live in possibly the most affluent zip codes in the country. The way the kids are raised in those areas is probably different than the way Ms. Hill was raised.
She is from a solid middle class suburban household with 2 parents. She probably got physically disciplined by her parents, and told the same comments that were quoted in the article. Lauryn's cousins and classmates family experiences were probably similar.

The quotes , in fact ,are run of the mill things that parents have said to their children. They hardly matched what I expected when I saw the thread title.

In the circles that Lauryn's kids grew up in this is considered harsh language/verbal abuse and the beatings were considered child abuse by comparison, probably.

Get it.