House Republican says he won't accept a border deal because it may help Biden politically

bnew

Veteran
Daps

House Republican says he won't accept a border deal because it may help Biden politically​

Bryan Metzger

Jan 4, 2024, 10:04 AM EST

Republican Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas at a hearing on Capitol Hill in April 2023.

Republican Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas at a hearing on Capitol Hill in April 2023.
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call via Getty Images

• Senators are trying to hash out a border security deal that's acceptable to both parties.
  • But one House Republican says he's unlikely to support it if it helps President Joe Biden politically.
  • "I'm not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat," Rep. Troy Nehls said.

As senators work on a compromise deal to address border security and immigration, at least one Republican is suggesting politics is a key motivator for him.

"Let me tell you, I'm not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden's approval rating," Republican Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas told CNN this week. "I will not help the Democrats try to improve this man's dismal approval ratings. I'm not going to do it. Why would I?"

Nehls indicated he'd accept only a proposal similar to HR 2, a hardline immigration bill that got zero Democratic votes when it passed the House last year.

"Chuck Schumer has had HR 2 on his desk since July," Nehls said, referring to the Senate majority leader. "And he did nothing with it."

Border security and immigration have emerged as a weak spot for Biden, with just 38% of respondents in one recent poll saying they approved of his handling of immigration.

But it's not the first time Nehls has seemed to say the quiet part out loud.

The Texas Republican and ally of former President Donald Trump told USA Today in December that he wanted to give Trump "a little bit of ammo to fire back" by impeaching Biden.

Over 60 House Republicans traveled to the US-Mexico border on Wednesday, and many are saying they're unlikely to accept a compromise on border security hashed out by the Senate.

HR 2, known as the Secure the Border Act of 2023, would entail a broader rewrite of the country's immigration laws, including curtailing migrants' ability to seek asylum in the US and forcing the continued construction of a wall on the border.

Meanwhile, senators have been working behind closed doors on a deal that's unlikely to go as far as HR 2 but may satisfy enough Republicans and Democrats to pass the Senate.

Republicans have insisted that border security be addressed before any further aid can be provided to Ukraine and Israel.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I promise this is the last time

@ORDER_66 @TripleAgent

Whadda ya know. Republicans being totally anti. Being all about chaos and political stunts.

In case you misconstrue my point: Republicans are bad faith actors, liars, cheaters, and virulent racists. No matter your criticism of Dems, you cannot allow these monsters to take power.

It's way better to box out Trump and the MAGAts now, then work on the rest. Cause these people are never going to do anything helpful for society.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

@ORDER_66 @TripleAgent

Whadda ya know. Republicans being totally anti. Being all about chaos and political stunts.

In case you misconstrue my point: Republicans are bad faith actors, liars, cheaters, and virulent racists. No matter your criticism of Dems, you cannot allow these monsters to take power.

It's way better to box out Trump and the MAGAts now, then work on the rest. Cause these people are never going to do anything helpful for society.
How do you "work on the rest" when you vote for them by default out of fear of the other side?:patrice:
How do you pressure them to improve when you won't not vote for them?:patrice:

Here's a White man telling you, since I'm sure that's the only way you might listen. He worked for the DNC.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Read this earlier and didn't bother to post it myself. Between this and Ron Johnson, THEY DONT WANT to change it. But hey, Abbott is going to keep sending migrants elsewhere and Dems will be blamed, meanwhile Republicans know that meaningful immigration changes would help Biden and kill their narrative to anyone but Republican diehards.

But let a Republican hit office with a majority (Trump had that for a bit) and they won't do it either. The wall was a political stunt. You can walk under and around or climb over walls. Staffing the border and funding the border states would be a fine solution but that doesn't look good if Biden's name gets attached to it. This is the same reason Obamacare got dozens and dozens of repeal bills placed in congress over the years but not only did none of them pass both chambers, but there was never a solution provided. Calling Obamacare the worst thing to ever come out WAS the Republican's healthcare strategy. Same with the border.

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

@ORDER_66 @TripleAgent

I'm not a fukking republican why you tagging me in this dumbass shyt... you wasting coli server space again on dumb shyt... :comeon:

your boy biden in charge of the boarder and he not defending that bullshyt

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tell em dumb nikkas in that Chicago Migrants Crisis thread
:russ:Don't invoke them cats! That thread is a waste of time for anyone who cares about something other than headlines and Black youtube pundits misrepresenting the city. Imagine being the Mayor of a non-border state and having a migrant influx being sent from a border state Republican being blamed on you! AND people continuously misrepresenting what a "Sanctuary City" is. I even posted the Ice office location IN Chicago and its like ignored.

"Do evil shyt and let the Dems take blame" is a winning strategy for an alarming number of folks, especially those who think they would get a bigger piece of the pie by listening to Republicans. You can absolutely address both sides nationally for decades being the reason immigration (not asylum, which is the current issue plaguing the border) is a mess, but in 2024, migrants being bussed in the dark of night to underprepared cities is NOT a problem of those cities, its the problem of the sender.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:russ:Don't invoke them cats! That thread is a waste of time for anyone who cares about something other than headlines and Black youtube pundits misrepresenting the city. Imagine being the Mayor of a non-border state and having a migrant influx being sent from a border state Republican being blamed on you! AND people continuously misrepresenting what a "Sanctuary City" is. I even posted the Ice office location IN Chicago and its like ignored.

"Do evil shyt and let the Dems take blame" is a winning strategy for an alarming number of folks, especially those who think they would get a bigger piece of the pie by listening to Republicans. You can absolutely address both sides nationally for decades being the reason immigration (not asylum, which is the current issue plaguing the border) is a mess, but in 2024, migrants being bussed in the dark of night to underprepared cities is NOT a problem of those cities, its the problem of the sender.

They still be in denial and say "Dems need to vote harder and tangibles need to be in place" while not holding accountability towards the GOP.