"We Need Big Guards & Wings Who Defend Like Dogs" - Official Washington Wizards 2022 Offseason Thread

Will Tommy Sheppard continue to falter in the NBA Draft and sign contracts with mid-talent?

• Total voters

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai

Kevin Broom's preliminary YODA (Ye Olde' Draft Analyzer) scores has Keegan Murray as the #1 best prospect. Chet Holmgren is #2. Tari Eason is #3.

Eason will probably be around at #10. He can already shoot. He is a defensive dog and has great athleticism. I think he's OG Anunoby.

Dyson Daniels is Satoransky on steroids and fits the big guard mold. He just has to... learn how to shoot. But he does everything else.

You guys have any favorites?

My do not draft at #10 are Johnny Davis, Jeremy Sochan, TyTy Washington.

@thewiz
@lochead
@mastermind
@ThatsRite2
@Black
@Eddie Jordan
@Mr swag
@Spree At Last
@mrken12
@Rob's al Ghul
@KBadd
@seanjohn21276
@L. Deezy
@ZEupTWN
@Guv
@KillbertArenas
@G-Zeus
@Icepick Isaacs
@Blackrogue
@VladTheImpaler
@Jack!
@PracticeMeansNothin
@Smashius Clay
@Jemmy
@Dad
@KBadd
@L&HH

I'm on the fence about Tari Eason. Loved him at first until I started watching his turnovers and realized he has a case of th deniitis. Left hand is automatic turnover..but in a way I still feel positive about him. He gives me Paul George vibes but breh a power forward. How left hand is sus. I love watching Jeremy sochan play. He's about a tobias Harris sized player. Active and will help. Jovic also but I need to get into his details more. The guys who when they shoot I feel are automatic are tyty kinda, Keegan, Jabari smith, AJ, Kennedy Chandler is sneaky, shae Sharpe is very interesting. I'd have Beal at the one and him at the two then add playmaking. Im obsessed with Beal at the one . Not to play point.. but Beal, kuz and Porzingis with two play makers in Deni and sochan makes it so we have decent size, everyone play makes, deni and sochan do the grunt work

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I'm on the fence about Tari Eason. Loved him at first until I started watching his turnovers and realized he has a case of th deniitis. Left hand is automatic turnover..but in a way I still feel positive about him. He gives me Paul George vibes but breh a power forward. How left hand is sus. I love watching Jeremy sochan play. He's about a tobias Harris sized player. Active and will help. Jovic also but I need to get into his details more. The guys who when they shoot I feel are automatic are tyty kinda, Keegan, Jabari smith, AJ, Kennedy Chandler is sneaky, shae Sharpe is very interesting. I'd have Beal at the one and him at the two then add playmaking. Im obsessed with Beal at the one . Not to play point.. but Beal, kuz and Porzingis with two play makers in Deni and sochan makes it so we have decent size, everyone play makes, deni and sochan do the grunt work
My issue with Sochan is he can’t shoot

Atleast Eason even with his low release point has shown he can shoot. His ball handking definitely needs work.

I also just saw Satoransky is in talks with Barcelona.

I’d go after Delon Wright now

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
I think sochan processes stuff faster than Eason and it shows in his motor and shows in his passing ability. He's also super young I think.
I can't do the links since I've taken JavaScript off but YouTube Jeremey sochan hardwood hoops. Or Tari Eason hardwood hoops. That channel has organized footage of most of the prospects that's about two hours long on each.
I liked Eason and might come around on him but his left hand is weak. And there's a way shyt happens in his vicinity that he doesn't react to. It also explains his foul rate. But I'm still watching the footage.

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
But I'll say this, Eason has been productive so I can definitely come around on him

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Da King
@Remote
@duckbutta
@AlbertPullhoez
@360dagod
@lightskin jermaine
@DonkeyPuncher718
@DrexlersFade
@malbaker86
@BodieBroadus
@8====D
@twan83
@Zyne
@the kid
@KingTut
@jahsoul357
@NoMorePie

Spurs have multiple first round picks. The lottery pick, the Raptors pick at #20, and the Celtics pick at #25.

Would you all want to do something like Rui Hachimura and Isaiah Todd for Tre Jones & the #25 pick (via BOS)?

Spurs also have the #34 pick too to use.
A lot of Spurs fans wanted Rui Hachimura when he was in the draft in 2019, and while he's a bigger body than Keldon Johnson at PF, I'm not sure there's much of an upgrade there (if, at all) for San Antonio. What the Spurs need is a Center. I'm still not happy with the PF position. I'm in the minority among Spurs fans in saying that I don't think Keldon Johnson is the best option there. But San Antonio just cannot win in this league by relying on Dejounte Murray and having their only front court threat being a 6'5 PF. It's just never going to work against the better teams and in the playoffs.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
A lot of Spurs fans wanted Rui Hachimura when he was in the draft in 2019, and while he's a bigger body than Keldon Johnson at PF, I'm not sure there's much of an upgrade there (if, at all) for San Antonio. What the Spurs need is a Center. I'm still not happy with the PF position. I'm in the minority among Spurs fans in saying that I don't think Keldon Johnson is the best option there. But San Antonio just cannot win in this league by relying on Dejounte Murray and having their only front court threat being a 6'5 PF. It's just never going to work against the better teams and in the playoffs.

Rui is 6'8'' and suddenly can shoot :mjgrin:

But he's not grabbing rebounds and gets lost on D. Keldon I always thought should be playing SF. It's amazing how much weight he's put on in a short time.

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
Fwiw imo I think it's easier to get a point guard AFTER you gotten everything else into place. Look at Milwaukee, Suns, Miami. That way your team is artificially bad and then now you plug it in with a PG that fits.
As for this draft there's so many random young players who are eligible who have high upside like Leonard miller. It'll be interesting to watch. And the pg play is questionable I'm now seeing people debating which college twos can be moved to point

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

The Wizards can’t play it safe in the draft.

For three years, on Tommy Sheppard’s watch, they have stayed where they were in the first round and gone for solid rotational players: Rui Hachimura (ninth pick, 2019), Deni Avdija (ninth, 2020) and Corey Kispert (15th, 2021). Each has been fine at times in his pro career. Kispert came on during his rookie season, and his shooting prowess is as advertised. Avdija is a sharp passer and secondary ballhandler who isn’t afraid to stick his nose in defensively. And Hachimura took a huge efficiency step forward from deep this past season, hitting 45 percent on 3s.

But they all fall in the “high floor, low ceiling” bin; i.e., they’re good, but they’re not good enough to move the needle. You love having them around, but they can’t, alone, take you very far. Washington can’t pick the same type of guy again this year — not in an Eastern Conference that is only going to get tougher next season.

For these and other reasons, the Wizards need to reach for a star in this draft.

If they’re going to give Bradley Beal the full bag, and they’re already locked in to paying Kristaps Porziņģis $70 million through 2024 (assuming he picks up his $36 million option for 2023-24), and they have any intention of trying to re-sign Kyle Kuzma (he, most assuredly, will opt out of his deal after next season, making him unrestricted in ’23), it’s a financial necessity to acquire a major talent on a (relatively) inexpensive rookie deal next month. That’s the additional benefit to striking it rich on a Ja Morant — the team that gets a rookie of that caliber enjoys two or three years of way-above-his-salary production before it has to commit to a nine-figure extension. The best chance the Wizards have to find a similar impact player in this draft is to trade up from their current 10th spot in the first round into the top three, maybe four.

That means making anyone — anyone — besides Beal and Porziņģis available to do so. I think the Wizards know this, and will be much more aggressive in the draft than they’ve been in recent years.

(Yes, the Wizards also need to address their hole at point guard. One crisis per column.)

This isn’t a bad draft, but it isn’t all that deep. Washington could get a good prospect staying at No. 10, like, perhaps, Baylor’s Jeremy Sochan or G League guard Dyson Daniels. (At least those two aren’t allergic to defense.) But, chances are, whomever Washington picks if it stays there will have significant question marks. Meanwhile, Houston (which currently holds the No. 3 pick), Sacramento (No. 4) and Portland (No. 7) have all been rumored to be at least willing to discuss dealing their picks. And though there’s no guarantee the Wizards would get an elite player by moving up as high as No. 3, the past 20 years of NBA drafts show picking third overall has, generally, gone a whole lot better for teams than picking 10th has.

3rd Pick vs. 10th Pick, 2002-2021
3RD PICK
10TH PICK
Evan MobleyZ. Williams
Lamelo BallJalen Smith
R.J. BarrettC. Reddish
Luka DoncicM. Bridges
J. TatumZ. Collins
J, BrownThon Maker
J. OkaforJ. Winslow
Joel EmbiidElfrid Payton
Otto PorterCJ McCollum
Bradley BealJ. Fredette
E. FreedomAustin Rivers
D. FavorsPaul George
J. HardenB. Jennings
O.J. MayoBrook Lopez
Al HorfordS. Hawes
A. MorrisonM. Sene
D. WilliamsA. Bynum
Ben GordonLuke Jackson
C. AnthonyJarvis Hayes
M DunleavyCaron Butler
If we assume Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren and Auburn’s Jabari Smith Jr. will go, in some order, to Orlando at No. 1 and Oklahoma City at No. 2, the draft really will begin at No. 3 with the Rockets. Houston’s general manager, Rafael Stone, wants to build through the draft, but he’s also got a rather impatient owner in Tilman Fertitta — who, I’m guessing, wasn’t thrilled at being 23rd in the league this season in attendance. (At 24, your Washington Wizards!) Houston had a great draft last year, bringing in Jalen Green, Alperen Şengün, Usman Garuba and Josh Christopher as primary building blocks. It would be easy for the Rockets to add another foundational piece this year at No. 3, either Duke’s Paolo Banchero or Purdue’s Jaden Ivey.

Sheppard needs to short-circuit that thought process.

Teams have had to use significant future capital just to move up a couple of spots in recent drafts, as when the 76ers added a future first to the third pick in 2017 in their trade with Boston for the No. 1 pick. Dallas added a protected 2019 first to the fifth pick in 2018 to move up two spots in the deal with Atlanta that netted the Mavs Luka Dončić. More apples to apples in Washington’s situation might be the 2019 draft night trade between Minnesota and Phoenix, when the Wolves traded the 11th pick and veteran forward Dario Šarić to the Suns for the sixth pick.

The Rockets wouldn’t want a high-priced veteran, in all likelihood, to pair with their youngsters. But Washington certainly has multiple younger rotational players it could package with the 10th pick. The Wizards can’t trade any future firsts until two years after they fulfill their obligation to send a first-rounder to Oklahoma City — via Houston, with whom Washington completed the 2020 trade that dealt John Wall for Russell Westbrook. The earliest Washington can complete that deal is in 2023, but the pick is protected 1-14 in 2023, meaning if the Wizards have one of the 14 worst records in the league that season, they’ll keep the pick. It is also protected 1-12 in 2024, 1-10 in 2025 and 1-8 in 2026. The Wizards can trade their first-round pick in a given year on draft day of that year, though, regardless of whether their obligation to OKC has been met.

The Wizards have Hachimura, Avdija and Kispert, along with Isaiah Todd, the former G League Ignite talent who spent most of last season with Washington’s G League affiliate, the Capital City Go-Go. Any combo of some (not all) of those players, along with No. 10 — and, perhaps, the first available future first-rounder after the Wizards are done dealing with OKC — would be worth it to get up to No. 3. If the Wizards were to pull that off, I’d recommend they take Banchero, a plug-and-play forward who has the kind of skill set and personality the Wizards have been lacking in frontcourt players for so, so long.

And if the price gets too high with Houston, Washington should focus with laser precision on No. 4, where the Kings are desperate to end their 16-year (!!!) playoff drought. Sacramento (and Portland) look to be more interested in win-now vets. The Wizards have a handful of those, too — Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Daniel Gafford among them. Don’t get me wrong; I love KCP and Gaff. Gafford works hard, he’s proven to be a solid rim runner/lob target, and he’s on a reasonable contract for multiple years. But he can’t play alongside Porziņģis, and KP is probably best suited to play the five in today’s game than the four, anyway. Nor has Gafford been able to solve his proclivity for getting into foul trouble.

Ideally, the Wizards would keep Kuzma off the table. He had a breakthrough season for Washington, both offensively and on the glass. He was beyond clutch in game-tying or game-winning situations down the stretch. The only reason he’s on this list is I can’t say with certainty that the Wizards will pay him market rate when he hits free agency — after the big payouts to Beal begin, combined with the two-year outlay for Porziņģis (and there will be added payroll if Washington trades for a veteran point guard). The Wizards have not been a luxury tax-paying team under Ted Leonsis, and though people can change their minds, Leonsis has been fairly consistent over the years in how he does business.

If Washington got up to No. 4 but Banchero was off the board, the next target should be Iowa’s Keegan Murray, the 6-foot-8 forward who averaged 23.5 points and 8.7 boards last season and shot 40 percent on 3s — and who crushed his interviews last week with NBA talent-evaluator types in Chicago at the NBA Draft Combine. When’s the last time the Wizards had a legit All-Star candidate at the three? Caron Butler? It’s been a minute. It’s been more than a decade, actually.

Which is where we always come back to when it comes to the Wiz. This fan base — this demoralized, ridiculously patient, success-starved fan base — has been waiting for a legit championship contender for 50 years! You can count on one hand the number of young, emerging stars this franchise has taken in the draft who truly engendered hope. I’ll give you Juwan Howard (1994) and Rasheed Wallace (1995) in concert with Chris Webber — whom Washington got from Golden State. By contrast, almost no one here knew or had seen Kwame Brown, whom Washington took No. 1 out of high school in 2001.

Wall (2010)? Yes. Beal (2012)? Yes. And that’s really about it.

But Beal, Porziņģis, Kuzma, a legit one and Banchero or Murray? To paraphrase the ultimate franchise rebuilder, Thanos: You could enjoy that very, very, much.

@thewiz
@lochead
@mastermind
@ThatsRite2
@Black
@Eddie Jordan
@Mr swag
@Spree At Last
@mrken12
@Rob's al Ghul
@KBadd
@seanjohn21276
@L. Deezy
@ZEupTWN
@Guv
@KillbertArenas
@G-Zeus
@Icepick Isaacs
@Blackrogue
@VladTheImpaler
@Jack!
@PracticeMeansNothin
@Smashius Clay
@Jemmy
@Dad
@KBadd
@L&HH

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
That's good news for deni. Drew has had many good clients who are good off the dribble. And if deni takes that step on this aspect of the game he's gonna be very valuable