Igbo influence in Black American culture

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'll tell you my point as quick as possible

This is what you post

This is the article in full context

Very selective and protected, almost dismissive on influences.

If were to say Jamaica influenced American BBQ, I'd get killed here. But there it is, in your article. :pachaha:

So in your limited mind every Black American got on a boat and went down to Jamaica to learn how to barbque? :troll:

So basically your crazy ass is saying that African Americans did not bring that cooking style with them from Africa and that there is no connection the Hausa slaves? But aren't you being dismissive of Hausa slaves that brought that cooking style with them to Jamaica? :russ:

So here I am acknowledging a possible contribution by Africans to African American cuisine, but your dumb ass is saying that I am not acknowledging the influence other Black people contributions to African American cuisine. :mjlol:

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
So in your limited mind every Black American got on a boat and went down to Jamaica to learn how to barbque? :troll:

So basically your crazy ass is saying that African Americans did not bring that cooking style with them from Africa and that there is no connection the Hausa slaves? But aren't you being dismissive of Hausa slaves that brought that cooking style with them to Jamaica? :russ:

So here I am acknowledging a possible contribution by Africans to African American cuisine, but your dumb ass is saying that I am not acknowledging the influence other Black people contributions to African American cuisine. :mjlol:
I'm only posting what your article said. :pachaha:

That is my point, You'll acknowledge what you want to acknowledge.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Mashed potatoes and stewed okra?

:mjtf:

Idk about this breh. Those are not staple AA foods. Those dishes are Southern white American foods.
:gucci:

Real quick, how do you say Okra in Igbo?
:troll:

Anyway in regards to OP’s post…

It has the right idea but the execution is a little off. Mashed potatoes is a stretch, but just the fact we saw sweet potatoes and said fukk it they’re yams now is enough argument for influence.

Anyway the Igbo influence represents some of the oldest foundational influence on the culture and thus became creolized sooner than some other groups. So a lot is not going to stick out like you’ll see from Mandè, Congo, etc. influences which were still coming in later in the slave trade. It’s a lot more under the radar.

Not to mention the Igbo’s staple crop(Yams), weren’t adaptable to the subtropical climate here in the states, unlike rice which is adaptable here.

And it’s funny to see people bring up Jamaica as a “better” example of influence when much of the similarities you’ll find between African America and Jamaica (or any anglophone Caribbean country for that matter) come from what was considered “lower Guinea” (mainly Igbo and Akan peoples).

To be honest I don’t think we’ve even truly unlocked the full scope of Igbo influence on African American culture but that’s a whole nother post.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm only posting what your article said. :pachaha:

This is your original stupid statement:

It does make you think, out of all of the diaspora, African Americans rarely acknowledge the African influence.

Just like the Banjo. They take credit for it, but never talk about it's African roots. :russ:

Then I advised you that was not true. So to try to prove me wrong you posted a thread about barbque to prove me wrong, but right in the damn thread I put an article about the Hausa people influence on American barbquing which clearly shows that I am acknowledging the African influence of something on African Americans. YOUR stupid statement was about Africa you moron. Not no damn Jamaica. So you were wrong, but you are too dumb to admit it. So where do you think the damn Jamaicans got their knowledge of barbquing if not from the Hausa people?

Not that it matters, but the Caribbean influence on anything African American is greatly exaggerated, because the vast majority of African Americans came to the USA directly from West and Central Africa between 1720-1780. The direct importation of slaves from Africa to the USA was not banned until 1807 and that is when Caribbean slaves were by and large imported into the USA. So at what point would Jamaicans have imported all of this so called culture to African Americans?

Historical Context: Facts about the Slave Trade and Slavery | Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I was going to make a thread the other day about how african slaves brought over their traditional cooking to the Americas and later transition to soul food, but I just knew that would open the flood gates

We've had a 3 1/2 year long thread about the topic in the Root.

High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America

Can't really have serious discussions in TLR.

BOOK-articleInline.jpg

Great book....I remembered the author from her appearance in the Soul Food Junkies documentary

Brer Dog

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was going to make a thread the other day about how african slaves brought over their traditional cooking to the Americas and later transition to soul food, but I just knew that would open the flood gates
That's what The Root subforum is for. Posting stuff like that in TLR is asking for disaster.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
This is your original stupid statement:

It does make you think, out of all of the diaspora, African Americans rarely acknowledge the African influence.

Just like the Banjo. They take credit for it, but never talk about it's African roots. :russ:

Then I advised you that was not true. So to try to prove me wrong you posted a thread about barbque to prove me wrong, but right in the damn thread I put an article about the Hausa people influence on American barbquing which clearly shows that I am acknowledging the African influence of something on African Americans. YOUR stupid statement was about Africa you moron. Not no damn Jamaica. So you were wrong, but you are too dumb to admit it. So where do you think the damn Jamaicans got their knowledge of barbquing if not from the Hausa people?

Not that it matters, but the Caribbean influence on anything African American is greatly exaggerated, because the vast majority of African Americans came to the USA directly from West and Central Africa between 1720-1780. The direct importation of slaves from Africa to the USA was not banned until 1807 and that is when Caribbean slaves were by and large imported into the USA. So at what point would Jamaicans have imported all of this so called culture to African Americans?

Historical Context: Facts about the Slave Trade and Slavery | Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
I see you forget to underline the "rarely" part.

But hey:

I brought up that thread as an example of a dismissive or selective mindset. Not as an addon to the the food list.

It's not that I'm trying to prove you wrong, you just want to be right. I'm just showing you mindset.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I see you forget to underline the "rarely" part.

But hey:

I brought up that thread as an example of a dismissive or selective mindset. Not as an addon to the the food list.

It's not that I'm trying to prove you wrong, you just want to be right. I'm just showing you mindset.

Literally copy and paste word for word what a nikka wrote and a nikka will still fight you on it.

DaringWarpedAmericanredsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

You win nikka. You win.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
says the breh happier to embrace the slavemaster in him than the west african in his blood.

couldn't be me.

Our WA Blood comes for tribes like the Diala Osu; Dahomians(Benin), and others selling us :dwillhuh:

So you shaming folks who bigging up our history in America, yet you hyping up the nikkas who sold us? :why: